The Shootist

Terry Anderson thought he'd be in Athens right now, chasing his lifelong dream of Olympic gold. Instead, he's in prison, his life plugged full of holes.

By February 26, Marylynn had taken over the company, signing a letter as "president" of DRS, changing the locks and alarm codes, and moving funds to her own or her daughter's bank accounts. On one $98,000 check to herself, Marylynn wrote "bonus." (A few weeks later she would call a meeting of the board of directors for the purpose of firing all the officers and installing herself as president and her daughter as secretary. Marylynn's effort to stack the board was derailed by Anderson's attorney.)

A day later, Colonel Noble, subpoenaed to testify about Anderson's military record, says he encountered Marylynn in the courthouse. "Harry, I am sorry that you got brought into this," he claims she told him. "You are going to end up with egg on your face. There are things about Terry that you don't know."

Noble wrote in an affidavit, "She told me that Anderson was going to lose everything and that he was going to jail for the illegal firearms. Marylynn did not state precisely how long Anderson had the guns in their home but indicated that she knew that the guns were there for years."

Marylynn Anderson feared for her life after finding her husband's cache of secret weapons.
Marylynn Anderson feared for her life after finding her husband's cache of secret weapons.
Terry Anderson won 17 national titles as a shooter and made two Olympic teams.
Photo courtesy of
Terry Anderson won 17 national titles as a shooter and made two Olympic teams.

Anderson was not a sniper or a hit man for the government, Noble testified. "I'm not going to say he never did any work for the CIA or military intelligence," Noble says. "But if you are [a sniper], you are doing that in a combat zone shooting other combatants, not civilians. There was no evidence of any of that. Marylynn made that up."

Prosecutor Michael Gill says Marylynn was not pushing the case in any way. "She was very troubled by the fact that he was looking at prison time."

But Anderson points to documents anonymously mailed to him last year, including excerpts of Marylynn's diary, which begins on January 21, 2003; it describes finding the Viagra and laments Anderson's apparent impotence and loss of sexual interest in her since the summer.

"Terry informed me that he had a goal to build the company even bigger than it is and that nothing was going to stand in his way--especially me. I was stunned by his bluntness--all my feelings about rejection--about not being enough of anything came rushing back. Why didn't either my mother, father or husband know how to love me? I feel so unloved...everything I want and can't have."

Marylynn describes Anderson going to his doctor and learning he was anemic and low in testosterone. "Dr. Sample gave him a vitamin shot but no testosterone. Terry won't consider it because it's on the 'banned list' of the U.S.O.C." Anderson hadn't given up the dream. "Once again, his needs, desires, goals, etc. are 1st...Why are we sentenced to pay the price for our parents' and grandparents' sins?"

The packet included a typewritten outline dated February 2, 2003, that describes in great detail her plan to take away "Terry's loves": Olympic shooting, the Army Reserve, their kids and the company. "How? Destroy Terry, make him pay the price for his infidelity to me, send him to hell on earth for his lack of love and appreciation for our relationship and make sure they never release him from his sentence...Locate Terry's secret storage closets that no one else has access to. Then inform the Feds that I accidently [sic] discovered illegal weapons and negotiate a surrender reiterating the surrender never include Terry!...I get the house, company and kids. Terry goes to hell. I have God on my side!"

While Marylynn admits the diary excerpts are hers, she contends the typed "scheme" letter is phony.

Also in the anonymous packet was a "personal mission statement." "I, Marylynn Anderson, pledge to be a beacon of the light of Christ's love to my family...I will strive for this by ardently seeking knowledge of and obeying Christ's will for my life--accepting nothing less than my personal best for his honor and glory. As a Christian educator, this is my calling, my vocation, indeed the very reason for my existence."

If Marylynn did scheme for six months to take away all of Anderson's loves, she succeeded, but at great cost to herself. Eighteen months after Marylynn filed for divorce, the Andersons' house has been sold, and their company is in receivership. Instead of Marylynn getting 92 percent of DRS, a mediated settlement has split their company 50-50. Marylynn has testified that the IRS, Secret Service, DOD and other agencies are looking into the Andersons' business practices. To ward off a possible IRS criminal investigation--and to put pressure on Marylynn to sell DRS--Anderson filed amended tax returns going back to 1993. They now owe more than $112,000 to the IRS.

After pleading guilty, Lieutenant Colonel Terry Anderson was sentenced to 36 months in Seagoville's federal prison, which he began serving in May. Brumley says the "old liberal" federal judge gave Anderson the maximum time and that the sentence reveals the problem with the federal guidelines. "If the state had arrested Terry, he would have gotten probation," Brumley says. Anderson now keeps himself busy teaching motivational techniques to other inmates, hoping some day to reconnect with his children. Like the rest of us, Anderson will watch the Olympics this week on television and dream about what might have been.

« Previous Page
My Voice Nation Help