American Girls

Crossing between American and Egyptian cultures, he Said girls made one deadly misstep: They fell in love

"The only time Tissie seemed upset was when she talked about leaving Islam behind," Owens says.

At the end of the afternoon, the five visitors left and drove to Tulsa.

They found an apartment and bought some furnishings. During the trip, Tissie learned that both her daughters were sleeping with their boyfriends. Her only reaction: She had to get them to Planned Parenthood for contraception. "Patricia was kind of like a child," Eddie says. "She didn't know what she wanted. I thought she had something against the girls."

Islam, the oldest, had to watch over his sisters at all times.
Islam, the oldest, had to watch over his sisters at all times.

The attempt to start new lives was aborted when Tissie told the girls that December 31 was their grandmother's birthday and they had to drive to East Texas to put flowers on her grave.

Did the girls know that Tissie and her mother had been estranged for years before her death? Tissie's mother had been furious after her daughter returned to Yaser despite the abuse allegations. The "flowers on the grave" story was a ploy.

Yaser had promised Moggio that if Tissie and the girls came home, he would move out of the house. As they neared Lewisville, Tissie announced she was returning to Yaser. Their escape attempt was over. Sarah went home with her mother, but Amina insisted on staying with Eddie. She called Moggio.

"She said, 'My mom just flat lied to us,'" Moggio says. "'She went back to my dad. I'd rather be dead than go back there.'" Moggio told her to get a restraining order against her father "immediately."

Tissie told Yaser that Amina had gone to a New Year's Eve party and was spending the night with a friend.

The next day, however, Tissie told Yaser that Amina had spent the night at Eddie's home.

Tissie called Amina for hours then appeared at Eddie's front door. All was forgiven, her daddy had said, "the page flipped." Her father had changed, Tissie insisted.

Amina didn't believe it. Eddie reminded Tissie about the fear of the previous week.

"He's hurt her for 20 years," Eddie said. "He wouldn't change after five days."

"I thought about it," Tissie said. "Y'all and Islam are going to get married, and I don't want to be all alone. Nothing is going to happen [to Amina] with me there. I really want them to finish high school, then you can run away." She promised to protect her daughters.

"I don't want to go back," Amina insisted. In tears, she turned to Eddie. "Let's go back to Tulsa."

"Patricia will know where we are," Eddie said. "I was like, 'It won't hurt to talk to him.'" He breaks into sobs at the memory.

"I always thought that a mother would take care of her girls."

"You're letting me down," Amina told Eddie. She took the memory card out of her camera and threw it at him. "It's over. He won't let me see you again." She refused to kiss him goodbye and walked out the door.

The last time Eddie saw Amina was in her father's taxi. Eddie and his father were driving to meet a relative when Yaser's taxi crossed their path. Eddie followed the cab and saw Amina sitting in the front seat facing Yaser, her knee up and her back against the door.

"She looked nervous," Eddie says. "Sarah didn't look worried." After Amina sent him a text message saying the situation was OK, he and his father drove on to their destination.

Amina had only been home only minutes when her father had hustled both girls into his taxi. Yaser had confronted Sarah and asked if she was having sex with her boyfriend. She said yes.

"I think he was top-of-the-line angry," Eddie says. "He was like, 'How did that happen?'"


"Help, help, my dad shot me..."

The call to 911 was routed to the Irving Police Department at 7:35 p.m. The cell phone caught a girl's gasping voice.

"I'm dying, I'm dying Abu...."

The sound of a car door opening.

"Oh my God, not again!"

A struggle. "Stop it. Stop it. Stop..." The door slamming. Then only whimpering.

The police dispatcher traced the number to Islam, who had loaned Sarah his phone. Lewisville police arrived at the Lakeland house and picked up Tissie and Islam, who said Yaser had taken the girls in his taxi "for tea."

By the time mother and son arrived at the Irving Police Department, the mystery of the 911 call had been solved.

A cab driver had pulled into the taxi queue at the Omni Mandalay Hotel in Las Colinas at about 8:30 p.m. When the cab in front of him didn't move, the driver looked inside. No driver, just two blood-soaked young women sprawled across the seats, Amina in front and Sarah in back.

Tracing the cell tower that picked up Sarah's phone call, police surmise Yaser had driven to a park on Riverside Drive where fishermen casting for bass often heard gunshots from the Elm Fork shooting range.

Yaser stopped the car, pulled out a 9mm pistol, and shot Amina twice, hitting his oldest daughter point blank in the chest, severing her spinal cord.

« Previous Page
Next Page »
My Voice Nation Help