By Jim Schutze
By Rachel Watts
By Lauren Drewes Daniels
By Anna Merlan
By Lee Escobedo
By Alice Laussade
By Scott Reitz
Founded in the mid-'90s, Goodie Mob is one of Southern hip-hop's most revered acts. The Atlanta foursome, led by rotund crooner Cee-Lo Green in his pre-Gnarls Barkley days, was so uniquely talented, its oddball behavior was interpreted by many rap pundits as genius. Clearly, Cee-Lo wore that fishnet shirt and blond wig because he's so much smarter than you or me.
2200 N. Lamar St.
Dallas, TX 75202
Category: Music Venues
Region: Downtown & Deep Ellum
And for the first time in 10 years, the proper lineup of the Mob is performing together on an 11-city tour that stops in Dallas on Sunday. This is huge.
However, even when Goodie Mob was really popular, it wasn't really all that mainstream popular. And fans of the group can be proper elitists, so here are a few things you should know before you head out to the show.
2. Any review, profile or article about Goodie Mob will inevitably feature wayward plays on the term "soul food," the title of the group's breakthrough 1995 album. Work this in wherever you can, i.e., "Goodie Mob's music is real soul food, no table scraps." Or, if talking to a lady, "May I soul-food you a drink?"
3. Goodie Mob is a backronym meaning "The GOOD DIE Mostly Over Bullshit." Cee-Lo notes on Soul Food that if you remove one of the O's, it also stands for "GOD Is Every Man of Blackness." Conversely, if you take away all the letters and replace them with EWKORCITTS, it spells out "We Rock Tits."
4. "Backronym," by the way, is not a made-up word. It refers to when a word is reinvented as an acronym. Don't front—you had no idea.
5. In 2007, Khujo had his right leg amputated below the knee following a car crash. No joke.
6. Goodie Mob is credited with having coined the phrase "Dirty South." That's great and all, but we're more concerned with who coined the phrase "coined the phrase."
7. After ringleader Cee-Lo temporarily left the group, Goodie Mob put out an album titled One Monkey Don't Stop No Show. The group claimed it was not a shot at 'Lo; everyone knew better.
8. The group appeared in the movie Mystery Men. If you didn't notice them, that's because they were disguised as the Not So Goodie Mob. Oh, that clever Ben Stiller.
9. If you search the phrase "Goodie Mob" in Google images with the filter off, it only takes four pages before you find a picture of what appears to be two men fellating each other in a standing 69.
Find everything you're looking for in your city
Find the best happy hour deals in your city
Get today's exclusive deals at savings of anywhere from 50-90%
Check out the hottest list of places and things to do around your city