10 Reasons Why You're Going To The Ticket's Fight Night
Photo by Mike Brooks
On Thursday, August 29, Sportsradio 1310 The Ticket takes over the Village Country Club with a ring, a copy of the Marquess of Queensbury Rules, and a slew of ever loyal P1s.
That's right folks, it's time for Fight Night '13, an event members of the Hardline call "The best thing the station does." Just in case you were still on the fence about going, we're giving you 10 reasons why your attendance is mandatory.
1. Corona Light is the head sponsor: Texas heat + cold beer + boxing = Awesome. This is the simplest math you will ever do.
2. Intern Mike: Last year Intern Mike was decimated in the ring, and well ... just watch this video.
Comedy Night At The Muse With Kyle Groom
TicketsFri., Oct. 7, 9:00pm
Do Pehri With Pankaj Kapur & Supriya Pathak
TicketsSun., Oct. 9, 7:00pm
POETRY SMASH #1
TicketsThu., Oct. 13, 7:30pm
African Muzik Magazine Awards
TicketsSat., Oct. 15, 7:00pm
An Evening With Deon Q
TicketsSun., Oct. 23, 7:00pm
3. Three-round fights: Listen, no one wants to see some amateur fighter die from heat exhaustion, swinging limp-armed in a 32-round Jack Johnson tribute. Three rounds gives the fighters time to feel each other out, break through their nerves, realize the whole thing is about to be over and swing wildly.
4. Brooklyn versus Texas: Local musician Jimmy Menkena hails from Brooklyn, yet chooses to live in the great state of Texas because, well, who wouldn't? This hasn't stopped the Hardline from billing his bout as Yankee versus Texan as he steps into the ring with one of Texas' chosen sons.
5. The Last Hurrah of the "Manicotti Hottie": For the third and final time, The Manicotti Hottie takes the ring in hopes of demolishing her competition ... make of this what you will.
Photo by Mike Brooks, from Fight Nights past
6. Australian Rules Football versus Rugby: Fight Night's main event features the return of last year's Rugby champion Chris, who won his bout in less than 20 seconds without being touched. In an attempt to avoid such lopsidedness this year, the Ticket brought in an Australian Rules Football player. Will he possess the toughness to face Chris' onslaught? You'll have to get ringside to find out.
7. Mike Rhyner: The Dallas radio legend will shepherd the Hardline live at the event. He's Dallas' deepest well for knowledge on local history, sports and music, so let's treasure each an every broadcast. 8. Hanging out with the P1s: Anyone who has ever attended a Ticket event knows that it's people-watching at its finest, as loyal P1s mob the area determined to have a good time. Imagine everything you hate about the fans of the Fan, and now imagine the complete opposite.
9. A performance by country artist William Clark Green: It is your duty as a Texan to see at least one country performance every three months -- might as well do so at a Ticket event. 10. 12 bouts all for free: Boxing is one of our oldest sports. It's also one of the priciest sports to take in live. The Ticket gives you 12 fights for free. It's going to be a hodgepodge of hilarious inefficiency as untrained fighters flail around, capped off with a brutal bout between two very large men. Basically, it's just like every other boxing card that Don King puts on.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about arts and culture events in Dallas and offers you won't hear about anywhere else.