Here's Some Awesome Back to the Future Memorabilia to Get Autographed at This Weekend's Sci-Fi Expo in Irving
Phantom City Creative
This weekend, February 9-10, fans of all things sci-fi will descend upon the Irving Convention Center for this year's Sci-Fi Expo. Major guests will be in attendance, including comic book artists and actors from popular sci-fi films and TV shows. The roster includes stars from Battlestar Galactica, The Walking Dead, and even Billy Boyd from Lord of the Rings.
But as much as we love as those franchises, its the appearance of Back to the Future stars Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, Claudia Wells and James Tolkan we're most excited about. That got us wondering: In an ideal world, if you could get any piece of Back to the Future memorabilia autographed, what would it be? Here are six cool ideas.
1. The Trilogy Posters First up is the piece you see above, a terrific series of posters by Phantom City Creative and Mondo. It's simple yet stylish, and ties all three movies together in the best way possible. This beats almost any Back to the Future-inspired artwork we've seen.
2. The Hoverboard Just as cool? Mattel's replica of the Hoverboard from Back to the Future II. Okay, sure, it doesn't really hover, but we can pretend (and you know we will ... just not on water). Mattel started taking pre-orders on these detailed replicas last March and only made a limited amount, so good luck finding one. But you could always do what Marty did and steal one from some kid on the street.
3. The Nikes Another limited-edition item. Nike only made 1,500 pairs of these shoes (and no, they don't lace up on their own -- c'mon technology!). Prices were reportedly as high as $3,500-4,000 with the proceeds going to The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson Research. It's not really practical to have someone sign a shoe, I guess, but you know you'd give it a shot if you had a pair.
4. Legos! These aren't even out yet, but that doesn't have to stop us from wanting them. In fact, how have these not come out before? Pairing Legos with Back to the Future: a match made in 80s heaven.
Diamond Select Toys
5. The Flux Capacitor If you've ever wanted to get your hands on the beating heart of the DeLorean, the closest you'll get is this replica of the flux capacitor. It lights up and will only set you back about $300. Originally available in a limited edition, this unlimited version has the same detailing, weighs less, and is available in stock.
6. A Mother-F-ing DeLorean And last but not least, the grandaddy of them all. Back in 2009, there was an auction on eBay for what was described as "the most screen accurate Back to the Future Delorean Time Machine replica to ever appear on eBay". Of course, with a price tag then of about $70,000, you didn't stand a chance. But we're talking about an ideal world here, where cars fly and trash is fuel and you have $70,000 lying around. Just go with it.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Dallas, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.