People will Art Dance Around Sculptures at NorthPark Center this Weekend
If you happen through NorthPark Center this weekend, be on the lookout for some art dancing. (Psst, it'll be near The Art.) Funded through a grant by the Texas Commission of the Arts in collaboration with the National Endowment of the Arts, the project borrows the bodies of Contemporary Dance/Fort Worth members to act out sculpture specific routines.
They'll begin at Mark di Suvero's "Ad Astra" (You know it as "Big red/orange steel grass burr"), do a 3 to 6 minute performance, playing off the shapes and angles of the art work, and then move onto another. They're hitting eight sculptures total, unless they get distracted by the seductive scents of Auntie Anne's Pretzels, which are so totally delicious that nobody will blame them if that happens.
If you want to watch the show, head over to "Ad Astra" at 2 and 4 p.m. on Saturday or 3 p.m. on Sunday. Then, join me as I attempt to return some ill-fitting corduroys at Forever 21.
From the press release: A list of sculptures that will be danced around, in order
1) Ad Astra, 2005, by Mark diSuvero (NorthCourt, between Nordstrom and Macy's)
2) 20 elements, 2004-2005, by Joel Shapiro (Nordstrom Court)
3) Three Places, 1983, by Antony Gormley (Between Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus)
4) The Field of the Cloth of Gold, 1987-1988, by Jim Dine (Between Neiman Marcus and Dillard's)
5) Five Hammering Men, 1982, by Jonathan Borofsky (SouthCourt, between Neiman Marcus and Dillard's)
6) A Surrounded Figure (Assediato), 1983, by Mimmo Paladino (Between Neiman Marcus and Dillard's)
7) Rediscovered King, 1987, by Alain Kirili (Between Dillard's and Macy's)
8) Large Leaping Hare, 1982, by Barry Flanagan (Between Macy's and Nordstrom)
Get the Arts+Culture Newsletter
Receive exclusive announcements and discounts from the Dallas Art Scene directly to your inbox!
More ARTS News
- Leslie Moody Castro Isn't Just Walking Away From Dallas
Fri., May 29, 9 p.m. and Sat., May 30, 9 p.m.
Thu., June 4, 7:30 p.m., Sat., June 27, 2:30 p.m. and Sat., Aug. 8, 11:30 a.m.
Fri., June 5, 10 a.m.
Fri., June 5, 7 p.m.
- See Alien Like You've Never Seen It Before at Texas Theatre This Weekend
- Giovanni Valderas Leaves Mountain View College for Kirk Hopper Fine Art