The DMA and Dallas Art Fair are Giving Cash to Graduate Students
Artists in graduate programs have the financial double-whack of student poverty and artist income. Don't worry guys, there's a green light in the distance. The Dallas Museum of Art and the Dallas Art Fair have joined forces to offer the very new Art Ball 2013 Awards, cash prizes available to those currently chipping away at an MA, MFA or art-based PhD degree right here in Texas.
Six pieces must be submitted for consideration, with one of those tagged for donation to the Art Ball's silent auction. Five to seven artists will be selected as winners, each receiving $1,500 in prize money and their work showcased in a special preview party exhibition for the 48th annual DMA gala fundraiser, the Art Ball on April 3, 2013.
Here's the rules:
Artists and Art Eligibility
1. Artists must be graduate students (MA, MFA, PhD) of any age enrolled in visual arts programs throughout the state of Texas.
2. Artists must not be formally represented by a commercial gallery or dealer.
3. Eligible mediums include painting, sculpture, works on paper, and photo-based media.
4. Immediate family members of DMA staff or trustees are not eligible to apply
Dream Concert ft. Wrayne Simmons, Marcus Speed and Uriah Jones
TicketsFri., Jan. 27, 8:00pm
From Classic Film to Modern Stage
TicketsTue., Jan. 31, 7:30pm
An American In Paris
TicketsWed., Feb. 1, 7:30pm
Gabriel Iglesias: FluffyMania
TicketsWed., Feb. 1, 8:00pm
Casa Manana Presents Rapunzel, Rapunzel: A Very Hairy Fairy Tale
TicketsFri., Feb. 3, 7:00pm
Application for the DMA Graduate Student Art Ball Prize
Applicants meeting the residency and representation specifications for the prize should submit the following (do NOT staple materials or insert them in binders):
1. Complete application form and image list (use attached form)
2. Submit in CD format no more than six (6) examples of recent work in the form of digital images (in JPEG format, each JPEG not to exceed 2MB). Of these images, note which piece will be donated to the Art Ball auction if you are selected as a prize recipient.
3. Works submitted for display must not exceed the following dimensions or weight:
a. Weight limit: 300 lbs.
b. Dimensions: no larger than 5 x 5 x 5 ft.
4. An up-to-date curriculum vitae
5. Proof of current enrollment in graduate-level (MA, MFA, PhD) visual arts program in the state of Texas. (Copy of valid student ID or other proof of enrollment required.)
6. . All materials must be postmarked by January 7, 2013.
7. Provide self-addressed envelope with adequate postage if you would like your materials returned.
8. The DMA will make delivery arrangements for art that is selected outside of the North Texas region.
Award and Recognition
1. Five to seven artists will be selected.
2. Prize recipients will receive a cash award of $1,500.
3. Prize recipients will donate the artwork selected from their submission to the Art Ball 2013 silent auction.
4. Prior to Art Ball, these works will also be on view at the Art Ball Patron Preview Party and the opening night of the Dallas Art Fair.
Timeline for the DMA Graduate Student Art Ball Prize
1. Application deadline: postmarked by January 7, 2013
2. Prize recipients selected: January 2013
3. Prize recipients notified: late January 2013
4. Selected art on view at Art Ball Patron Preview Party: April 3, 2013
5. Selected art on view at Dallas Art Fair: April 11, 2013
6. Selected art auctioned at DMA Art Ball: April 13, 2013
7. Cash award distributed: April 15, 2013
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about arts and culture events in Dallas and offers you won't hear about anywhere else.