Tips for Exercising Outdoors
Ready to work out outside? Be sure you...
- Dress in layers during cold weather. Wear hat and gloves to prevent heat loss.
- Invest in a good pair of walking, running or cycling shoes right from the start.
- Bring plenty of water. It's easier to get dehydrated outdoors.
- Do a thorough warm-up. Even a five-minute walk and some easy stretches help warm up muscles.
- Bring a mat or beach towel if you're going to exercise on the grass or sidewalk.
- Make sure a first-aid kit is nearby in case of a spill.
- Wear sunscreen (even in winter) and insect repellent in summer.
- No earphones if walking, running or cycling on city streets. You need to be aware of oncoming traffic, unleashed dogs or other hazards.
- Do bring a cell phone and identification in case of a mishap.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about arts and culture events in Dallas and offers you won't hear about anywhere else.