Tips for Exercising Outdoors
Ready to work out outside? Be sure you...
- Dress in layers during cold weather. Wear hat and gloves to prevent heat loss.
- Invest in a good pair of walking, running or cycling shoes right from the start.
- Bring plenty of water. It's easier to get dehydrated outdoors.
- Do a thorough warm-up. Even a five-minute walk and some easy stretches help warm up muscles.
- Bring a mat or beach towel if you're going to exercise on the grass or sidewalk.
- Make sure a first-aid kit is nearby in case of a spill.
- Wear sunscreen (even in winter) and insect repellent in summer.
- No earphones if walking, running or cycling on city streets. You need to be aware of oncoming traffic, unleashed dogs or other hazards.
- Do bring a cell phone and identification in case of a mishap.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Dallas, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.