BEST OF DALLAS® 2008
So, last week we were putting together this year's Best of Dallas® issue, whose theme, "Futuretopia," is a word we made up to describe the city's sunny future. In these pages, you'll read about the smart people digging into the tiny spaces occupied by atoms to come up with the next wave of great inventions. About a local farmer who is looking to the past to find ways to fill our bellies tomorrow. About how monuments to the city's arts and culture are rising on the skyline—sure, one of them is on the Arlington skyline, but still...
Wouldn't you know it, as we were putting this issue to bed, Wall Street faced The Greatest Crisis in the History of the World? Gloom! Doom! The incredible shrinking 401(k)! Maybe we're wrong to predict such a rosy future. Could be. Optimism is not our usual gig.
But you know what? The innovators, the architects, the business people, the chefs and club owners and artists are all still here. Most of them, we hope, will be here tomorrow. The list of cool stuff about Big D you hold in your hands will just grow longer in the years ahead.
Futuretopia is in the cards. We know, because we asked a fortune-teller. Hey, she has to know at least as much as Wall Street about what tomorrow will bring.
Thanks go to photographer Morrey Taylor and hair and makeup artist/stylist Jennifer "Jacknife Ruby" Grayson for helping us produce the images and designs for this special issue, as well as Dolly Python, Electrique Boutique, Leather Masters, & Texas Tarts for providing wardrobe and accessories for our models.
Find more Best of Dallas® winners:
- Best Dose of ClappingUptown Players' Audience
- Best Club DJThe Party
- Best Public SculptureCésar Chávez plaque on Shed 2 in the Farmers Market
- Best Album ArtNevada Hill
- Best City Council MemberAngela Hunt
- Best Public ErectionDallas Center for the Performing Arts
- Best BlogPete's Place
- Best Local PlaywrightLee Trull
- Best Authentic DiveThe Windmill Lounge
- Best Alternative ClubAllGood Café
- Best Place to Go Back in TimeDallas Heritage Village at Old City Park
- Best DJ ShackLee Harvey's
- Best Blues ClubThe Balcony Club
- Best PlaygroundAdventure Landing
- Best Dance ClubFallout Lounge
- Best Kids' PartyKreative Kidz Partyz
- Best Dog ParkWhite Rock Dog Park
- Best Place to Avoid Growing UpBarcadia
- Best Honky-TonkAdair's Saloon
- Best Pencils ReadySunday Night Pub Quiz at Trinity Hall
- Best Place to Piss Off a Cop Without ConsequencesTaco Cabana
- Best Outing With the KidsMuseum of Nature and Science
- Best Neighborhood (to Get Shot In)Little Forest Hills
- Best Place for a Day TripWaxahachie
- Best Shopping CenterSam Moon Center
- Best Petside MannerRichard Scroggin, DVM
- Best Cigarettes on the CheapPipe Dream
- Best Toy 'N' More StoreThe Toy Maven
- Best Bookstore, New (Tie)Borders|Barnes & Noble
- Best Globetrotter's OutpostWhole Earth Provision Co.
- Best Place to Go If You Insist on Feeding Your AnimalsThe Lucky Dog Barkery
- Best Curl CutterJason Hull
- Best Minor League FranchiseFrisco Roughriders
- Best StarBrenden Morrow
- Best Imitation of What We Wished Dallas Was LikeArlington
- Best DramaGreg Williams versus Mike Rhyner
- Best Sports MomentStars Eliminate Sharks in Four-Overtime Classic
- Best OwnerJerry Jones, Dallas Cowboys
- Best Athlete That Made You Proud to Live in DallasMichael Johnson
- Best Futbol PlayerKenny Cooper, FC Dallas
- 13 Best Tattoo Shops in DFW, 2015 Edition
- The Customer Is Not Always Right. Here Are 10 Ways to Be a Better One.
- 7 Things to Do on Mother's Day for the Child-Free Woman
- Denton Is Obsessed with Sriracha
- Where to Pick up Your Next Date in Dallas
- 5 Kickass Dallas Women Who Could Totally Be President
- The Cheap Bastard's Guide to Great but Terrible Pre-Workout Meals in Dallas