Best of Dallas®
No, no, no: Our 2013 Best of Dallas® issue is not an endorsement of the "plushie" or "furry" lifestyle, even if we do fully support our fellow man's right to pursue happiness in the stuffed-animal costume of his choosing. Instead, it's about our ongoing quest to put down our "phones," table our tablets and get wild.
Because we're all just animals under the skin (or faux fur). We forage. We graze. We hunt and we gather. Sometimes, if things work out well, we even mate. In a chipmunk suit? Why, sure, if that's your thing.
Think of this year's Best of Dallas® as a wilderness guide to all the best spots to bag a meal, decorate your nest, find kindred animal spirits, dress up your plumage and kick back at a cool watering hole ... well, we say watering. More like fluid holes, really. But great ones.
We had a lot of help putting this guide together. Thousands of readers chipped in over the past few weeks to help winnow down the lists of great restaurants, bars, shopping and art venues that flourish in Big D's concrete jungle, so if you take our picks or theirs, you're (almost) certain to avoid any pitfalls. So get out there and explore, Dallas. And if, while you're at it, you happen to run across a 6-foot-2, 185-pound chipmunk, tell him his friend at the Observer says to call.
Find more Best of Dallas® winners:
- BEST THEATER ACTRESSMartha Harms
- BEST ART-RELATED EVENTDeep Ellum Arts Festival
- BEST SPEAKER SERIESTuesdays at the Modern
- BEST PLACE TO DROWN YOUR SORROWSShips Lounge
- BEST ISSUEAre You Still Beating Your Wife?
- BEST BAR CONVERSATIONTradewinds Social Club
- BEST OAK CLIFF SPORTS BAROutpost Tavern
- BEST CLASSICAL MUSIC ADDITIONDallas Chamber Symphony
- BEST PLACE TO SOAK, SCHVITZ AND DRINKSpa Castle
- BEST GRAPHIC DESIGN AND LETTERPRESSLilco Letterpress, Lily Smith-Kirkley
- BEST PLACE TO GET A WILD (OR TAME) DOGDallas Animal Services
- BEST HIPPIE BATH AND BODY PRODUCTSCentral Market
- BEST MALLNorthPark Center
- BEST PLACE TO WASH YOUR DOG (Tie)Urban Dogg and Dirty Dawgz
- BEST PLACE TO GET HOPPED UPThe Winemaker's Toy Store and Dallas Home Brew
- BEST PLACE TO BLOW YOUR PAYCHECK ON LIPSTICKMake Up For Ever
- BEST CHARITYDwell with Dignity
- BEST CAMERA GEAR RENTALDallas Camera
- BEST SHOE SELECTIONNordstrom
- BEST CHICKEN COOP TOURA Peep at the Coops
- BEST GARDEN STORENorth Haven Gardens
- BEST WOMEN'S CLOTHINGMilk & Honey Boutique
- BEST NAIL SALONCastle Nail Spa
- BEST PLACE TO PRETEND YOU'RE BETTIE PAGEDallas Pinup
- BEST REDEMPTION (WE HOPE)Dez Bryant
- BEST PLACE TO WORK OUTGold's Gym: Cardio Cinema
- BEST WAY TO IMPROVE YOUR WALK AROUND WHITE ROCK LAKEDon't go near the "free advice" people.
- BEST BOXING GYMVivero Boxing Gym
- BEST PICNIC SPOTDallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden
- BEST NATURE WALKDogwood Canyon Audubon Center at Cedar Hill
- BEST DRIVING RANGETop Golf
- BEST KAYAKINGWhite Rock Paddle Co.
Dallas Observer readers went wild this year, coming out in large numbers to give us their picks for the best food, drink, shopping, nightlife and culture in Big D. That should make this year's Readers' Choice Contest winners feel especially proud. Congrats to you all. Dallas likes you. They really,...more
- The Customer Is Not Always Right. Here Are 10 Ways to Be a Better One.
- 7 Things to Do on Mother's Day for the Child-Free Woman
- Denton Is Obsessed with Sriracha
- Where to Pick up Your Next Date in Dallas
- 5 Kickass Dallas Women Who Could Totally Be President
- The Cheap Bastard's Guide to Great but Terrible Pre-Workout Meals in Dallas