2010 ALCS Game 3 - Rangers 8, Yankees 0: My Top Observer-ations
10. How dominant was Cliff Lee tonight? I sat in the right-field seats of Yankee Stadium in the middle innings and I swear fans were wildly cheering foul balls managed by Nick Swisher. Any contact was cause for applause.
9. And why did I venture out of the comfy, cozy press box? Because Major League Baseball decided to issue about 2,000 credentials with only about 500 seats. Just when I wanted to complain about having a seat only amongst the Yankee fans, I look up and there's Dale Hansen, Mike Doocy and Babe Laufenberg sharing my dismay. But who am I kidding? I woulda paid just be in Yankee Stadium for an 8-0 drubbing of New York in a precious playoff game.
8. As good as we knew Lee was going to be - as good as he was - didn't you have a confident feeling about Game 3 after Josh Hamilton's first-inning, two-run homer? Me too. Lee, who finished with career-high-tying 13 strikeouts while allowing only two singles, is like the ol' wrestler Fritz Von Erich and his Iron Claw. Once he gets his hands on you, it's just a matter of time before you're put to sleep. The Yankees managed three base-runners. T-h-r-e-e.
7. And don't tell me about those rabid, loyal, great Yankees' fans. After the bottom of the 8th these jokers were headed for the exits in a muttering, cussin' rage. "Gotta swing the fuckin' bats!" I heard more than on fan bellow. Dee. Licious.
6. Your Texas Rangers: 5-0 all-time in playoff games wearing blue hats; 1-12 wearing red. In tomorrow's Game 4, I'd say blue is the correct call. But that's just me.
5. God how I wished there was a pitch-clock in baseball. If so, Derek Jeter would be called for delay of game every friggin' time at bat. I know he was trying to slow down the fast-paced rhythm of Lee, but once I timed him. From the time Jeter stepped out of the box, un-did and re-did his batting gloves, dug some dirt with his foot, held up his hand to call time and finally was ready for the next pitch: 16 seconds. Ridiculous.
4. Yankee Stadium was jumpin' for a while with the likes of Jay-Z and Dennis Rodman and Conan O'Brien, but don't knock Rangers Ballpark's small-town Dot Race ever again. During the 6th-inning drag of the infield, the Yankee Stadium grounds stops and dances to "Y-M-C-A." I could not make up something that silly.
3. Serious question: Should Rangers' manager Ron Washington be allowed to wear a red hoodie in the ALCS?
2. The Rangers have had 5-0 leads in all three games. Hate to dampen this party, but just think if their bullpen wouldn't have imploded in the 8th inning of Game 1. That hint of a scent would be a giant strong whiff of the World Series. Other than that 8th inning in Arlington the Rangers have outscored the Yankees, 20-3. Wow.
1. Yankees lose! Thhhhhhhhuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Yankees lose!
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Dallas, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.