2011 Cowboys Camp Day 2: My Top 10 Observer-ations
10. Was it just me and Fox 4's Mike Doocy, or was owner Jerry Jones choking up a bit yesterday when talking about the voyage that was lockout negotiations? "We took the boat out into a perfect storm and got the boat back home." The older he gets, the more sentimental and emotional Jerry gets. I guess 15 years -- and counting -- without a Super Bowl is breaking him down.
9. In case you missed it, every day will look the same down here in San Antonio. 10-11 a.m. walkthrough in helmets and shorts; 2:30-5:30 p.m. in full pads. Said head coach Jason Garrett: "We're going to hit the ground running with a fast tempo and we're going to do things with a sense of urgency." Wade Phillips, R.I.P.
8. It's not a party until something gets broken and training camp doesn't officially start until Channel 8's Dale Hansen -- draped in his usual Hawaiian shirt -- asks his blowhard question. On Wednesday it was "How the hell did you guys win any games last year?"
7. Though they can't be formally announced until Friday at 5, and though the players (because they are veteran free agents) can't practice until the first day of the new NFL year (expected to be next Thursday, August 4), the Cowboys have now signed starting left tackle Doug Free and starting left guard Kyle Kosier. As for center Andre Gurode, he underwent arthroscopic knee surgery in June and will start camp on the Physically Unable to Perform List, meaning he can be moved to the active roster at any time.
6. Bill Miller's Bar-B-Q across from The Alamodome is very overrated in all its cafeteriaishness, but its location makes it irresistible. On the other hand, if you want the strongest margarita on the Riverwalk it's at Zuni. Goes by the name of "Cactus Viper." Trust me.
5. Unless I missed him, I didn't see Wyoming receiver Harry Seaward during Wednesday's conditioning drills. Hmm. Maybe the Cowboys didn't like Harry Seaward as much as I thought.
4. When asked about the secondary yesterday Jones, Garrett and vice president Stephen Jones rattled off every name from Barry Church to Danny McCray to Akwasi Owusu-Ansah. Even though the Cowboys can clear some salary-cap room by re-structuring the contracts of Tony Romo, DeMarcus Ware and Miles Austin, it looks like the Jets are the front-runner for Nnamdi Asomugha and Dallas won't be part of the bidding unless it cuts veteran Terence Newman. Deflating.
3. On the opening of camp the Cowboys' No. 3 receiver is Kevin Ogletree? Sam Hurd? Manny Johnson? Dwayne Harris? Jesse Holley? Teddy Williams? Answer: No one. Gotta pick up someone here, right?
2. Much as you and I would like it, I hear free agent safety Michael Huff ain't headed here because the Cowboys don't want him here. "No way," a scout told me this morning. Bummer. The Cowboys are desperate for help at safety, but right now the most logical addition is Abram Elam, the former Cowboy who started the last two seasons for the Browns under new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan.
1. Most surprising sight from the opening press conference? Jones actually admitting how shitty last year was. During his 14 minute opening salvo, Jerry said "We had a really bad year. We stunk it up, no question about it." Forgive and forget?
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Observer's biggest stories.
More Blogs News
- After Club Signs Nathan, Moves Neffy to Rotation, Rangers Offer Wilson Arbitration
Thu., Feb. 11, 7:30pm
Thu., Feb. 11, 7:30pm
Thu., Feb. 11, 8:00pm
Fri., Feb. 12, 7:00pm
- They Went and Stole Shawn Bradley's Bike!
- From Penn State to the Dallas Stars, the Good, Bad and Godawful News in This Day in Sports