2011 Dallas Cowboys Training Camp Day 13: My Top 10 Observer-ations
It wasn't exactly football, but it was close. Sunday's Blue-White scrimmage featured a couple of decent hits and some tackling to the ground. For the most part it was 75-percent speed, a juicy appetizer for Thursday's Cowboys-Broncos pre-season opener
9. By my very unscientific and sorta distracted stat-keeping, Tony Romo was 12 of 17 with touchdown passes to Lonyae Miller, Dez Bryant and Jason Witten. He looked sharp, although the first play of the scrimmage was a false start because of a late snap from center Phil Costa.
8. As if he ever had a chance, free-agent punter Chris Jones sealed his training-camp loss to Mat McBriar with punts of 17 and 26 yards.
7. One player not afraid to hit during the scrimmage was rookie cornerback Josh Thomas. Got beat on a couple of passes, but also stuck his head into a couple of physical tackles.
University of North Texas Mean Green Mens Basketball vs. Louisiana Tech Bulldogs Mens Basketball
TicketsThu., Feb. 23, 7:00pm
TicketsThu., Feb. 23, 7:30pm
TicketsFri., Feb. 24, 7:00pm
Monster Energy Outbreak Pres. The Cadillac Three: The Black Roses Tour
TicketsFri., Feb. 24, 7:00pm
6. Though his defense looked a step slow and out of sorts at times, defensive coordinator Rob Ryan had this post-scrimmage assessment: "We're going to be pretty fucking good."
5. Suddenly Dan Bailey's pushing of kicker David Buehler has slowed. The free agent missed a 38-yard field goal yesterday. Buehler missed from 40, inciting some boos, but ended the scrimmage by nailing a kick from 46.
4. Veteran offensive guard Montrae Holland sat out with a sore back, a week after leaving practice with a tweaked knee. The thing is, Holland is about 20 pounds overweight. He's slow. He's hobbled. I just don't see how the Cowboys consider him the best option at right guard. If so, it's sad.
3. I'll say it again, rookie first-round choice Tyron Smith is the real deal. Linebacker Anthony Spencer was absolutely stoned in three rushes against the Southern Cal stud.
2. In every matchup of first-team offense vs. first-team defense, Jason Garrett has started the skirmish with a screen pass to Felix Jones. Wonder if that will carry over to the preseason, or even regular season?
1. Don't look now, but I think Miller may be this team's second-best running back behind Jones. With a 12-yard scoring catch, a 2-yard touchdown plunge and a nasty juke that left linebacker Orie Lemon grasping at air, the second-year runner is bigger and better than Tashard Choice. Until we see DeMarco Murray, Miller is the short-yardage back.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Dallas, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.