2011 Dallas Cowboys Training Camp Day 14: My Top 10 Observer-ations
Total attendance at camp will soar over 90,000 after this afternoon's final open-to-the-public practice. The Cowboys have issued 279 media credentials for camp and on Monday Dallas mayor Mike Rawlings attended practice. The Cowboys' contract with the City of San Antonio is up after camp but I see no reason they wouldn't return. The Cowboys get better weather in Oxnard, California and Alamodome-like accomodations in Arlington, but Jerry Jones cherishes owning the San Antonio market. Wouldn't be shocked if we're back to split-camps next year and beyond.
9. Tried San Antonio's famed Mi Tierra restaurant last night. Only a 20-minute wait, but horribly slow service and only so-so food. Disappointing. Mi Cocina still the best.
8. Linebacker Anthony Spencer's beard is approaching Brian Wilson's.
Event #16 Deep Stack Nightly
TicketsSun., Jul. 23, 7:00pm
Prey & Obey Tour: Pig, Julien-k And Ghostfeeder
TicketsSun., Jul. 23, 7:00pm
Earth, Wind & Fire and CHIC ft. Nile Rodgers: 2054 The Tour
TicketsSun., Jul. 23, 8:00pm
Event #17 Super Satellite Guaranteed Main Event Seat
TicketsSun., Jul. 23, 10:00pm
7. You can tell camp is winding down. Even Jason Garrett's "football" propensity is dwindling. During his daily Noon press conferences he's issued a high of 24 "football"s but yesterday only delivered nine.
6. To me the biggest bummer of camp was not getting to take a peak at third-round draft pick DeMarco Murray. He may be the team's best running back at some point, but he's got a lot of catching up to do.
5. Seems like I say this a lot, but at least once a day my eyes are drawn to an impressive play being made by undrafted free-agent linebacker Alex Albright.
4. Garrett yesterday compared defining a physical football team to defining porn, recalling Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart's iconic 1964 line: "I know it when I see it."
3. First player out at walkthrough this morning? Tyron Smith.
2. Monday's kicking stats: Dan Bailey 4-of-4 from 43, 27, 32 and 36. David Buehler 3-of-4 with makes from 26, 33 and 42 and a miss (left) from 37. At this point I don't trust either of them.
1. Abe Elam, welcome to camp. On a goal-line sequence yesterday he stopped Felix Jones at the 1 and then blanketed intended target Jason Witten in the end zone. Elam is wearing No. 24. Asked to name a former Cowboy who wore the number, he bypassed cornerbacks Everson Walls and Larry Brown and running back Marion Barber for ... "Omar Stoutmire." Not wrong. Just weird.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Dallas, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.