Camp Cowboys Top 10 Observations: Day 2
Send me your players and/or topics to watch and I'll, well, watch 'em.
10. Goofball or not, Martellus Bennett is a badass. He's got the biggest, softest, best hands on the team. Marty B doesn't catch. He plucks. Expect to see plenty two-tight end sets with him and Jason Witten
9. At 6-2, 322, offensive lineman Montrae Holland is built like SpongeBob SquarePants.
8. Noticed something about rookie kickoff specialist David Buehler. When he kicks to the right, he steps off 5 1/2 paces before approaching the ball. On kicks to the left it's only four steps. Wonder if this is like a pitcher tipping his hand, or no big deal?
7. Your daily Jesse Holley update: Not good. He got some reps as a "gunner" on punt coverage, but briefly left the morning workout with a leg cramp.
6. The Cowboys extended their sponsorship deal with Miller beer through 2020. Plenty of suds will be flowing at the team's free practice Aug. 27 at Cowboys Stadium. Asked Channel 8's Dale Hansen: "Will beer be free that night?" Quipped Cowboys' long-time media relations poobah Rich Dalrymple: "It will be free in the press box .. for those who know what that is." Hansen has some insightful, edgy Cowboys opinions, but his attendance in recent years has, shall we say, tailed off considerably. Game, set, match: Dalrymple.
5. After Jon Kitna's third fumbled snap of the morning workout, Wade Phillips turned his back to the play and - swear - chuckled.
4. The running back trio nickname of "Tash-Dash-Smash" is clever and cutesy, but probably not relevant. Marion Barber is the starter. Felix Jones is the change-up. Tashard Choice is the back-back-backup. "Marion and Felix will be our featured guys," Phillips said. "They're Pro Bowl-caliber players."
3. During an afternoon water break Roy Williams strolled to the end zone stands and invited a kid onto the field for the remainder of practice. 1. I don't think 1-touchdown producers should have that sort of pull. 2. You knew there must be a Texas connection and you're right. The kid had a burnt orange No. 4 jersey draped over the wall.
2. Jason Witten, Patrick Crayton and Kyle Kosier each were yanked from drills after committing false-start penalties. So far Flozell Adams, surprisingly, is innocent.
1. Tony Romo talked, without saying anything. Sitting on the back of a golf cart and engulfed by a breathless media, Romo ... well ... basically shrugged off every answer and said (I'm paraphrasing) "If we execute and play better everything will be okay." Romo did say he talked with Troy Aikman during the off-season about how to better deal with his role on America's Team. "Basically you've got to handle all the stuff on the field and off the field," Romo said, "or you won't be around very long." Other questions: Were you a predictable offense last year? "No." Have you changed: "I'm still myself." Will this year's offense gear more toward the run? "We'll be balanced, like last year." How's the chemistry in the locker room now? "We're very close." You've had a rough off-season, how are you doing? "I'm okay."
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.