Cowboys' 2011 NFL Draft: My Top 10 Observer-ations
10. The pick of Southern Cal offensive lineman Tyron Smith isn't sexy, but it's savvy. Thumbs up. And he says he doesn't like jewelry. Two thumbs up.
9. Fifth-rounder and former Cedar Hill star Josh Thomas is physical and a good tackler in the secondary, but you wonder about a four-year cornerback starter in college with only two interceptions. Don't you?
8. If the season opened today I'm not sure who would start at safety for the Cowboys. Gerald Sensabaugh and Alan Ball? By Sept. 11 surely Sensabaugh will be gone and Ball will be merely a nickel back.
7. The Cowboys have had only two coaches (duh) and two quarterbacks (double duh) to win Super Bowls. But they've also had only two left tackles -- Ralph Neely and Mark Tuinei.
Earth, Wind & Fire and CHIC ft. Nile Rodgers: 2054 The Tour
TicketsSun., Jul. 23, 8:00pm
Event #17 Super Satellite Guaranteed Main Event Seat
TicketsSun., Jul. 23, 10:00pm
Event #18 $20,000 Guarantee Seniors No-Limit Hold'em
TicketsMon., Jul. 24, 12:00pm
Event #19 Pot-Limit Omaha
TicketsMon., Jul. 24, 5:00pm
6. Like you, I would've liked to have seen the Cowboys trade down with Jacksonville, pick up another second-round pick and still nab Smith. But in line with him being No. 5 on their board, that would have been a greedy, risky move. First time Jerry Jones has been criticized for being too conservative?
5. I'm all for athletic inside linebackers that can shove Keith Brooking into his best role as a cheerleader, but North Carolina's Bruce Carter is coming off ACL surgery and won't be full-speed for the start of training camp. Isn't that a little high to be gambling on damaged goods? Then again, Smith also had knee surgery in December.
4. Gone from Dallas' 2011 roster: Marion Barber and Marc Colombo.
3. Oklahoma running back DeMarco Murray has potential. But staying healthy is a big part of the game. Right, Emmitt Smith?
2. It's "TIE-run" Smith, as in Byron Nelson.
1. The Cowboys went 6-10 last year and had the worst pass defense in the history of the franchise. So in the draft they select only two defensive players, fewest since 1962. Dallas is obviously counting heavily on two things: Free agency and Ryan.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Dallas, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.