Do You Trust Jerry Jones in the NFL Draft?
A month from tonight - that's right, tonight - the NFL Draft will commence in prime for the first time.
Currently with the 27th overall pick, what will your Dallas Cowboys do? A safety? Perhaps Southern Cal's Taylor Mays or Texas' Earl Thomas? An offensive lineman for when, not if, Flozell Adams finally breaks down? Maybe a receiver, like Oklahoma State stud Dez Bryant?
The bigger question, can we trust Jerry Jones? For some recent data, let's look back and grade the Cowboys' 2009 draft class.
Prepare to cringe.
You can make the argument that the Cowboys are better at finding free agents than identifying blue chips. Right, Tony Romo, Miles Austin and Kevin Ogletree?
As for last year's draft, remember, Jerry trade, trade traded all the way down to the third round ...
69. Jason Williams - F. Hampered by a sprained ankle suffered late in the pre-season, the linebacker never made an impact on defense or special teams. This year he'll hope to be as good as Bobby Carpenter.
75. Robert Brewster - F. After tearing a chest muscle during a workout last summer, we still haven't seen this offensive lineman in a Cowboys' uniform.
101. Stephen McGee - D. Thankfully, the former A&M quarterback didn't take a snap in the regular season. But several practice squad players like free-agent Rudy Carpenter better.
110. Victor Butler - B. Relatively speaking, he was superb. Two sacks against the Carolina Panthers and contributed on special teams. At least there's hope for him to be a front-line starter at linebacker.
120. Brandon Williams - F. Season-ending knee injury in the final pre-season game has the linebacker playing catch-up.
143. DeAngelo Smith - F. The cornerback was cut at the end of camp.
166. Michael Hamlin - F. After breaking his wrist in pre-season he barely got on the field, but the Cowboys still have he'll develop into a decent safety.
172. David Buehler - A. The kicker led the NFL in touchbacks. Now if he could only make field goals.
197. Stephen Hodge - F. Linebacker from TCU missed the entire season with a knee injury.
208. John Phillips - A. Tight end proved more consistently productive than Martellus Bennett.
227. Mike Mickens - F. Defensive back was placed on practice squad but eventually cut.
229. Manny Johnson - F. Receiver from Oklahoma spent the season on the practice squad.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Dallas, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.