My Mock NFL Draft: Don't Miss It, Even if Your Wife's in Labor
The Cowboys need help at safety. Their 2010 pass defense was the worst in the 50-year history of the storied franchise and two culprits were Gerald Sensabaugh and Alan Ball.
Problem: The Cowboys won't take a safety with the 9th pick in tonight's NFL Draft.
Why? Because only UCLA's Rahim Moore is considered a primo pick, and scouts consider him a late-first or early second-round talent. Drafting for need would be a mistake.
Besides, coming off a 6-10 year and with a new philosophy under head coach Jason Garrett, there are several holes to fill: Offensive line. Cornerback. Defensive end.
I think the pick will be Southern Cal offensive lineman Tyron Smith. The Cowboys need fall-back, look-ahead plans as Doug Free is unsigned and Marc Colombo is on his last legs. Smith played only two years in college and is far from polished, but he'd be the Cowboys' left tackle of the future.
Garrett and offensive line coach Hudson Houck attended his pro day in L.A. and scouting director Tom Ciskowski can't help but gush about him.
Wisconsin's J.J. Watt is the other possibility as the Cowboys need upgrading at defensive end, where Stephen Bowen and Igor Olshansky are average at best.
I'll be on 105.3 The Fan from Cowboys Stadium at 6 p.m. trying to make sense of it all. The team's official draft-watching party will include exclusive war room video and audio, picks announced before you see them on TV, performances by the Cowboys Cheerleaders and autographs by former players such as Jay Novacek, Drew Pearson and Larry Brown.
It's free. And it should be fun.
And, oh yeah, allow me to throw my hat into the mock-draft ring.
1. Panthers -- Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
2. Broncos -- Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M
3. Bills -- Marcell Dareus, DE, Alabama
4. Bengals -- A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
5. Cardinals -- Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
6. Browns -- Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
7. 49ers -- Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
8. Titans -- Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
9. Cowboys -- Tyron Smith, OL, USC
10. Redskins -- Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
11. Texans -- Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri
12. Vikings -- Jake Locker, QB, Washingtron
13. Lions -- Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
14. Rams -- J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin
15. Dolphins -- Mike Pouncey, OL, Florida
16. Jaguars -- Cameron Jordan, DE, California
17. Patriots -- Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Temple
18. Chargers -- Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
19. Giants -- Anthony Castonzo, OL, Boston College
20. Buccaneers -- Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois
21. Chiefs -- Nate Solder, OL, Colorado
22. Colts -- Gabe Carimi, OL, Wisconsin
23. Eagles -- Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
24. Saints -- Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
25. Seahawks -- Andy Dalton, QB, TCU
26. Ravens -- Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
27. Falcons -- Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
28. Patriots -- Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
29. Bears -- Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
30. Jets -- Phil Taylor, NG, Baylor
31. Steelers -- Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
32. Packers -- Brooks Reed, LB, Arizona
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Observer's biggest stories.