So, How Would You Feel About a Gay Cowboy?
What if these weren't the only gay Cowboys?
After a summer in which he bleached his hair blonde, Washington Redskins' running back Clinton Portis is spending part of training camp explaining that he is not, in fact, gay. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
We have a history of homosexual sports stars ranging from Martina Navratilova to Greg Louganis to Esera Tuaolo. Gays on TV (Will & Grace) and movies (Brokeback Mountain) and politics have grown more prominent. Dare I say, more accepted? I work at a radio station with an openly gay morning host. And, as I've said before, I have a brother who is gay.
To me, it's not an issue.
But Portis got me to thinking: Is the Bible Belt ready? How would you react if a Cowboys' player came out of the closet?
1. No big deal. As long as he helps America's Team win a playoff game I'm cool with it.
2. No way. I couldn't support a team with a sissy.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Observer's biggest stories.
More Blogs News
- After Club Signs Nathan, Moves Neffy to Rotation, Rangers Offer Wilson Arbitration
Fri., Nov. 27, 11:30am
Fri., Nov. 27, 2:00pm
Fri., Nov. 27, 2:30pm
Fri., Nov. 27, 5:30pm
- They Went and Stole Shawn Bradley's Bike!
- From Penn State to the Dallas Stars, the Good, Bad and Godawful News in This Day in Sports