Super Bowl XLV Aces & Angels Party: My Top 10 Observer-ations
10.Never really listened to Little Texas before last night's bash at Fair Park's Centennial Hall, but they do a pretty good rendition of KISS's "Detroit Rock City." Even Master of Ceremonies Gene Simmons was bobbing his head.
9. This just in: Nothing goes better with a cold shot of Jagermeister than a hot Jagermeister girl to serve it. I lost count at four. Or was it five?
8. Saw Tashard Choice and Sam Hurd and Randy White roaming around. Probably lots of others, but who knows? Centennial Hall is so big it was easy to get lost. Or to hide.
7. At the silent auction I bid on a framed, signed picture featuring the Seinfeld cast and co-creator Larry David. I crapped out when price headed north of $1,500. Wow.
6. There's something somehow therapeutic about losing $7,500 on a single hand of blackjack and laughing it off. Love me some Casino Night.
5. As a kid - waaaay before walkmans or iPods - I used to love KISS. Posters on the wall, 8-tracks in the stereo. The works. And when I wanted to hear some "Dr. Love" while mowing the back yard I simply opened my bedroom window and cranked it so loud that it was audible: To me and the rest of Duncanville. My apologies Mona Lane.
3.The red carpet was crazy. Probably 100 photogs and reporters looking and snapping and waiting and craning and pushing to see ... anything. At one point I thought our 105.3 The Fan broadcast table was gonna buckle under the crush.
2. One of the highlights of my life: Shaking Gene Simmons' hand, while wearing a Gene Simmons mask. God I'm a dork. And yes, that'll be me in an upcoming episode of Family Jewels.
1. Was the party perfect? 'Course not. Super Bowl parties never are. But the bottom line: Thousands of folks helped raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for the Wounded Warrior Project. That's what I call a super success.
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.