The College Football Weekend - 11.6.10: My Top 10 Observer-ations
10. First play of the game in College Station, Oklahoma snapped the ball over quarterback Landry Jones' head and out of the end zone for safety. Iconic Aggie radio voice Dave South's peculiar call: "Touchback, Aggies!" What the what?
9. For a supposedly dumbass coach, LSU's Les Miles sure gets lucky a lot.
8. How bad a season is it for Texas? The Longhorns' Garrett Gilbert threw five interceptions in a humiliating 39-14 loss at Kansas State. Texas trailed 39-0. Down 37-0 after a Wildcat touchdown the 'Horns blocked the extra point, which bounced right to the Kansas State kicker who ran it in for a two-point conversion. I could not make that up.
7. Unbelievable that Penn State's Joe Paterno is the first major college football coach to win 400 games. Just as incredible that he's 84 years old. And that he's had the same job for 45 years.
6. So much for June Jones' SMU dynasty. With a realistic shot to win the Conference USA West, the Mustangs went out and lost to crappy UT-El Paso.
5. Despite losing Jerry Hughes and Daryl Washington to the NFL, TCU's defense is good, fast and suffocating. Utah, which entered Saturday's showdown with the nation's No. 3 offense, was forced to punt eight times and didn't cross midfield until it was 40-0.
4. Is it just me, or is Auburn's Cam Newton (6-6, 250) a bigger - better? - version of Texas' Vince Young (6-5, 230)?
3. Best receiver I've seen this season wears No. 81 in Stillwater and plays like, well, Dez Bryant. Oklahoma State's Justin Blackmon against Baylor looked like Dad playing tackle in the back yard with the neighborhood 7-year-olds.
2. The last time the Longhorns and the Cowboys were this bad together we were watching Michael Jordan on the basketball court, Ellen Degeneres coming out of the closet and Titanic in the theater. Way back in 19 and 97. At a combined 5-12, Texas and Dallas are having their worst seasons since 13 years ago when UT went 4-7 in John Mackovic's final season and the Cowboys went 6-10 in Barry Switzer's last year.
1. With apologies to Auburn the best, most intriguing BCS National Championshp Game matchup would be Oregon's offense vs. TCU's defense. Right?
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Dallas, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.