The Top 10 Most Impressive Individual Sports Achievements and 10 Cool Things I'd Like to See Achieved
Last night was one of those nights.
In a season of 82 Mavericks' games and 162 Rangers' games, we'll remember April 15. For it was last magical night that we were treated to two - almost simultaneous - rare individual athletic feats in our own back yard:
At the time it had my remote control smoking. Now it has my head spinning, as in "Which one was more impressive?"
Obviously Kinsler's single-double-triple-homer is more difficult, especially considering he went on to become the first Ranger to smack six hits in a 9-inning game.
But where does the cycle rank amongst sports' most impressive achievements. I'm not talking something once-in-a-lifetime remarkable like Wilt Chamberlain's 100 points or Lyle Lovett actually shagging Julia Roberts, but a feat that occurs regularly enough to make it seem attainable, yet at the same time impossible.
C'mon, let's debate ...
THE 10 MOST IMPRESSIVE INDIVIDUAL SPORTS ACHIEVEMENTS
10. 300 Game - Bowling
9. Riding the Perfect Wave - Surfing
8. 8 Seconds - Bull Riding
7. Hat Trick - Hockey
6. 150 mph Serve - Tennis
5. Triple-Double - Basketball
4. Hat Trick - Soccer
3. No-Hitter - Baseball
2. Cycle - Baseball
1. Hole-in-One - Golf
THE 10 COOLEST THINGS I'D LIKE TO SEE ACHIEVED IN SPORTS
10. Deer capable of firing bullets out their antlers - Hunting
9. Standard events, only with really fat guys as the livestock - Rodeo
8. Forward playing an entire game without a sub - Hockey
7. Runner winning 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1600 in same meet, without steroids - Track
6. Player contributing three sacks, two touchdowns and 60-yard field goal in same game - Football
5. LeBron James scoring 102 points, all on dunks - Basketball
4. Horse bucking jockey in gate and winning Kentucky Derby sans rider - Horse Racing
3. Ambidextrous pitcher hurling perfect game via 27 strikeouts - Baseball
2. Lance Armstrong winning an 8th Tour de France while popping a wheelie - Cycling
1. Maria Sharapova beating Anna Kournikova for the All-Nude Championship - Tennis
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Observer's biggest stories.
More Blogs News
- After Club Signs Nathan, Moves Neffy to Rotation, Rangers Offer Wilson Arbitration
Sat., Feb. 6, 3:00pm
Sat., Feb. 6, 7:00pm
Sat., Feb. 6, 7:00pm
Sat., Feb. 6, 7:05pm
- They Went and Stole Shawn Bradley's Bike!
- From Penn State to the Dallas Stars, the Good, Bad and Godawful News in This Day in Sports