The Top 10 Most Memorable Cowboys' Thanksgiving Games
I could get my premature Scrooge on and predict that Pacman Jones showing up at last night's Mavericks-Pacers game is a precursor to him - surprise! - eschewing voluntary house arrest to ultimately find more trouble.
But I won't do that. Not today. On Thanksgiving eve let's just be thankful that Pacman has zero chance of screwing up tomorrow's win over Seattle that should continue a tasty trend that has seen Dallas go 25-14-1 all-time on Turkey Day, including 5-2 on Fox.
He also has no way of upstaging The Jonas Brothers, or injecting himself into The Top 10 Most Memorable Cowboys' Thanksgiving Games:
10. 11.27.69 Cowboys 24, 49ers 24. Craig Morton's touchdown pass to Lance Rentzel with three minutes remaining salvages a tie in the Cotton Bowl.
9. 11.26.87 Vikings 44, Cowboys 38 (OT) -- Darrin Nelson's run overcomes Danny White's five touchdowns and drops 5-6 Dallas out of the playoffs.
8. 11.24.05 Broncos 24, Cowboys 21 (OT). After Billy Cundiff misses a 34-yard field goal late in regulation, Denver's Ron Dayne sets up the heartbreak loss with a 55-yard rumble.
7. 11.23.06 Cowboys 38, Buccaneers 10.Tony Romo's ascension from free agent to superstar gains traction as his five touchdowns lead Dallas into first place in the NFC East.
6. 11.26.98 Vikings 46, Cowboys 36. Rookie receiver Randy Moss haunts the team that passed over him in the draft with three touchdowns and 163 yards receiving.
5. 11.22.01 Broncos 26, Cowboys 24. Dallas' rally from a 26-3 deficit is thwarted when coach Dave Campo inexplicably shuns a two-point conversion attempt after a Reggie Swinton touchdown in the fourth quarter.
4. 11.23.89 Eagles 27, Cowboys 0. Philly's Buddy Ryan adds to the "Bounty Bowl" humiliation with a $200 reward for one of his players taking out Cowboys' kicker Luis Zendejas.
3. 11.24.94 Cowboys 42, Packers 31. With Troy Aikman and Rodney Peete knocked out of the game and his team trailing 24-3, Jason Garrett steps in and throws for 311 yards and leads Dallas to a record 36 second-half points.
2. 11.25.93 Dolphins 16, Cowboys 14. Ice storm. Leon Lett. 'Nuff said.
1. 11.28.74 Cowboys 24, Redskins 23. Replacing an injured Roger Staubach, Abilene Christian rookie Clint Longley -- making his first NFL appearance -- authors a dramatic and improbable rally, climaxed by a 50-yard touchdown pass to Drew Pearson with 28 seconds remaining.- Richie Whitt
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Observer's biggest stories.