The Top 10 Sports Figures I'd Choose to Spend My Last Hour With
No. 1 in my heart. No. 1 on my list.
So, have you used up that extra hour yet? You know, the one we got last Sunday via the end of Daylight Savings Time. Fall back, remember?
I could lie and say I spent the extraordinary 60 minutes when 2 a.m. became 1 a.m. volunteering at a nursing home, adopting a herd of homeless cats or spit-shining my lil’ corner of the blogosphere. But, like you, I just slept. Honestly, didn’t even notice it. You?
I was reading Rick Reilly’s column about John Wooden this week, and it dawned on me that the legendary "Wizard of Westwood" isn’t long for this world. I bet he cherishes time more than the rest of us.
Same for Cowboys’ coach Wade Phillips, whose tenure atop his pristine career perch seems in steep decline. Dirk Nowitzki’s best basketball years are behind him. Mike Modano? On the brink of retirement. Reunion Arena will soon be razed and Texas Stadium is down to its last four breaths.
Nothing, it seems, lasts forever.
Got me to thinking. When I’m finally confronted by life’s wrecking ball, all I’ll want is more time. What should I have done with that precious, extra hour?
Sit down with some sports figures, of course. But who?
Affording myself the luxury of summoning anyone – dead or alive – I constructed my own sort of sports bucket list. One hour. 10 people. 6 minutes each.
Let the procession begin:
10. Mike Leach Hey, I’ll need a good chuckle. Besides, he might even sign me up as kicker.
9. O.J. Simpson To cleanse my anger, how about a nice, swift kick to the crotch?
8. Jesse Owens Just so I can high-five the dude that royally pissed off Hitler.
7. Tiger Woods In case there are doglegs in the afterlife, I need to cure this slice.
6. Muhammad Ali No way The Greatest won’t make me feel better.
5. Anna Kournikova Two words: Conjugal. Visit.
4. Babe Ruth Drinking? Smoking? Gambling? Womanizing? Gotta have one last binge.
3. Bjorn Borg My childhood idol remained calm, cool and composed at the most pressurized points.
2. Lance Armstrong Livestrong. I’ll also want to die strong.
1. Tom Landry Who better to orchestrate my 2-minute warning than God’s Coach?
Showed you mine. Show me yours. – Richie Whitt
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Observer's biggest stories.