The Top 10 Ugliest Wins That Felt Like Losses in the History of Your Dallas Cowboys
The Washington Redskins suck. Furthermore, they were playing without running back Clinton Portis, tight end Chris Cooley, two starting offensive linemen and stud defensive playmaker Albert Haynesworth.
That's what makes yesterday's 7-6 escape by the Dallas Cowboys so damn fugly. A couple missed field goals by Shaun Suisham. A vintageTony Romo escape-n-create touchdown. A batted pass for an interception by, of all people, Stephen Bowen. They all transformed an embarrassing loss into a sheepish win.
But it got me to thinking: Where does Sunday's performance rank amongst Dallas' all-time hideous wins?
Pretty high. Or is that pretty low?
10. Cowboys 13, Buccaneers 9. 10.26.08 - The game's only touchdown is a Roy Williams alley-oop thrown by, yuck, Brad Johnson.
9. Cowboys 14, Broncos 6. 12.18.77 - The season finale features a preview of things to come as Dallas' defense smothered Denver a month before duplicating the feat in Super Bowl XII.
8. Cowboys 12, Patriots 6. 12.15.96 - A good 10-5 team beats another good 10-5 team behind four Chris Boniol field goals.
7. Cowboys 9, Giants 3. 11.7.76 - Efren Herrera saves the day as 7-1 Dallas escapes 0-8 New York despite being outgained and outplayed by a team led by Craig Morton.
6. Cowboys 10, Bears 9. 11.26.81 - 9-3 Dallas survives 3-9 Chicago on Thanksgiving when Ron Springs scores in the final two minutes.
5. Cowboys 10, Bills 6. 11.19.03 - Quincy Carter "outduels" Drew Bledsoe.
4. Cowboys 9, Redskins 7. 10.15.01 - In a battle of 0-4 teams on Monday Night Football, Dallas wins without a touchdown.
3. Cowboys 6, Browns 2. 12.12.70 - Dallas wins despite only two Mike Clarke field goals and 174 yards of offense against a mediocre Cleveland team.
2. Cowboys 7, Redskins 6. 11.22.09 - A lucky win over a hapless opponent - at home, no less - is either an omen of a charmed season or a peek into ultimately a fatally flawed team.
1. Cowboys 5, Lions 0. 12.26.70 - Granted it was a playoff game, but winning with 3 offensive points and 2 defensive points makes for an eyesore nonetheless.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Dallas, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.