Tony Romo's Top 5 Performances
Jerry Jones said he was "outstanding" despite last week's loss to the Jets. Sunday afternoon in San Francisco the owner almost shed a tear in talking about the quarterback's gutsy performance in a 27-24 overtime victory over the 49ers.
It's already been a controversial, mesmerizing, fluctuating season for Cowboys' quarterback Tony Romo. And we're only in Week 2.
A look at where Sunday's performance ranks on Romo's hit list:
5. 10-8-07 -- After committing a gaudy six turnovers (five interceptions and a fumble), he leads Dallas to an 80-yard scoring drive in the final minute and then hits completions to Terrell Owens and Patrick Crayton after an onside-kick recovery to set up Nick Folk's 53-yard game-winning field goal in a wild Monday Night Football win over the Bills in Buffalo.
4. 12-9-07 -- Capping a 302-yard passing game and clinching home-field advantage throughout the NFC Playoffs, he hits Jason Witten with a perfect 16-yard touchdown pass with 18 seconds left to rally the Cowboys past lowly Detroit.
3. 12.6.09 -- Completes 41 of 55 passes for 392 yards and three touchdowns in a gut-wrenching, seven-point loss to Giants in New York.
2. 11-23-06 -- Throws a team-record five touchdowns in his first Thanksgiving Day start, leading Cowboys to easy romp over Buccaneers at Texas Stadium.
1. 9-18-11 -- Playing with a broken rib suffered on the game's third play in San Francisco, he keeps alive a scoring drive with a fourth-down pass to Witten, throws a touchdown pass to Miles Austin and then sets up game-winning field goal in overtime with a gorgeous bomb to Jesse Holley. He's had greater games, but not grittier. Hello, signature moment.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Observer's biggest stories.