Tony Romo's Top 5 Performances
Jerry Jones said he was "outstanding" despite last week's loss to the Jets. Sunday afternoon in San Francisco the owner almost shed a tear in talking about the quarterback's gutsy performance in a 27-24 overtime victory over the 49ers.
It's already been a controversial, mesmerizing, fluctuating season for Cowboys' quarterback Tony Romo. And we're only in Week 2.
A look at where Sunday's performance ranks on Romo's hit list:
5. 10-8-07 -- After committing a gaudy six turnovers (five interceptions and a fumble), he leads Dallas to an 80-yard scoring drive in the final minute and then hits completions to Terrell Owens and Patrick Crayton after an onside-kick recovery to set up Nick Folk's 53-yard game-winning field goal in a wild Monday Night Football win over the Bills in Buffalo.
4. 12-9-07 -- Capping a 302-yard passing game and clinching home-field advantage throughout the NFC Playoffs, he hits Jason Witten with a perfect 16-yard touchdown pass with 18 seconds left to rally the Cowboys past lowly Detroit.
3. 12.6.09 -- Completes 41 of 55 passes for 392 yards and three touchdowns in a gut-wrenching, seven-point loss to Giants in New York.
2. 11-23-06 -- Throws a team-record five touchdowns in his first Thanksgiving Day start, leading Cowboys to easy romp over Buccaneers at Texas Stadium.
1. 9-18-11 -- Playing with a broken rib suffered on the game's third play in San Francisco, he keeps alive a scoring drive with a fourth-down pass to Witten, throws a touchdown pass to Miles Austin and then sets up game-winning field goal in overtime with a gorgeous bomb to Jesse Holley. He's had greater games, but not grittier. Hello, signature moment.
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.