For over two decades, artists have occupied the 125 year-old Continental Gin Building, making it one of the oldest creative communities in Dallas. At least twice a year, the studios are open to the public, each Fall and Spring. Presently, over two dozen artists occupy the historic building. The Continental Gin Company was built in 1888 by Robert S. Munger, housed in a series of brick warehouses along Elm Street and Trunk Avenue. The company was closed in 1962, as Deep Ellum went through several transitions. In 1982, local real estate developer John Tatum purchased the property and spaces first began being rented to artists, thus establishing the Continental Gin Building as one of the oldest art communities in Dallas. It now houses a mix of accomplished professionals, soon-to-be-discovered and the as-yet undiscovered hopefuls, who are all diligently pursuing their talents whether that be apparel design, graphic design, photography, sculptures, film, painting, glasswork or more.