10 Albums That Cure a Bad Hangover
Oh, sweet relief!
There are few things that cure day-after-drinking hell better than a Bloody Mary. It's got to be a salad in a glass for the really bad ones, when you feel heavy at the forehead like a sledgehammer. Obviously, there's a number of additional things you can do for yourself: Get a delicious beer. Get a huge ass Tex-Mex breakfast. Get someone to black jack you with a boat oar.
But what the hell do you do on the way to get the glorious Bloody Mary? On the way to brunch? On the way to more bar? After you wake up from being nailed by a boat oar?
You need music to stop the two New York-sized rats fighting behind your eyes. These are the albums that are the musical equivalent of the sweet, sweet tomato drink. Hopefully, they'll do the same for you. If not, feel free to throw vegetables at the comments. Or post your own top ten. Oh, and keep it handy for 35 Denton and SXSW.
10. Cotton Jones - Paranoid Cocoon The whole album has an aged, Bourbony, sometimes-Motown sound that's perfect for scrubbing vomit from rugs. You'll definitely want the track about righting yourself after puking in the toilet. Also, this: Bloody Mary track: "Gotta Cheer Up"
9. Harlem - Hippies It's dirty rock, but not harsh. You don't want to amplify the headache, but you want a few tracks that commiserate with the pain. Harlem understands. Bloody Mary track: "Someday Soon"
8. Pink Mountaintops - Outside Love Epic concept album that's dripping with beautiful, melancholy metaphors of love. It's like plopping in front of the TV for a good film. Do it. Bloody Mary track: "While We Were Dreaming"
7. Sigur Ros - Med Sud I eyrum vid spilum endalaust Firstly, you don't need to know lyrics. Secondly, the latter half of the album sounds like drifting in zero gravity somewhere on the dark side of the moon. Pretty shit. Bloody Mary track: "Fljotavik"
6. Nada Surf - Let Go If Nada Surf had a pop magnum opus, it's this one. It's about isolation and solitude, which is prescription strength healing after a rough night. Bloody Mary track: "Neither Heaven Nor Space"
5. Jon Brion - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind The album's the score to a film about hurting so much you want to erase your mind. Bloody Mary track: The entire damn thing and "Row," on repeat.
4. Typhoon - Hunger and Thirst Kick-ass
Seattle Portland band kicks off their rainy egg shakers and tumbling guitar that leads into, "I've started a new beginning / suspiciously like the old one." Oh yeah, bring me another. Bloody Mary track: "Starting Over (Bad Habits)"
3. Whiskeytown - Strangers Almanac This is the perfect alt-country album, which means it's a perfect hangover cure. Get the deluxe edition so you can hear the acoustic cut of "Houses on the Hill." Bloody Mary track: "16 Days"
2. Miles Davis - Bitches Brew At some point, you'll need some jazz . You'll need the sounds of a darkened, smoke-filled room. Bloody Mary track: It's four long tracks, so you just listen to the whole thing.
1. Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline Do we have to list why? So, very good. Bloody Mary track: Lay, Lady, Lay
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Dallas, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.