11 More Ways For Jack White To Release A Limited-Edition Musical Work
"Three weeks prior to the April 24 release of his debut album Blunderbuss (Third Man Records/Columbia), Third Man Records has premiered the as yet unreleased Jack White album track "Freedom at 21" exclusively via 1000 flexi-disc records attached to helium balloons launched from the label headquarters in Nashville on April 1st, 2012.
Envisioned as an experiment exploring non-traditional forms of record distribution and a way to get records in the hands of people who don't visit record shops, the label was sure to use biodegradable latex balloons and all-natural twine in the process....
Statistics for similar balloon launches show a recovery rate of approximately 10% so it's quite possible that less than 100 of the 1000 records launched will ever be discovered. Whatever the numbers, the "Freedom at 21" flexi-disc will surely be a highly sought-after collectible for years to come."
What crazy distribution strategy will Jack White think of next? Some ideas:
11. Timed drive-by of a series of cars, each traveling at 30 mph, playing the song in succession
10. Christmastime popcorn-ball lawn-toss
9. Perform single "Music Under New York" gig, sell 7-inches there and only there
8. Hide download codes in jars of artisanal mayonnaise
7. Distribute USB flash drives marked "Stuxnet"; see if anybody risks it
6. Skywrite distribution URL on a Tuesday afternoon at 3 p.m. in four cities around the world, rain or shine
5. "A Google Plus Exclusive!"
4. Hand out unmarked CD-Rs at SXSW (trust me, nobody will notice)
3. Two words: Piano rolls
2. Recreate the scavenger hunt from the 1980 movie Midnight Madness, including all currently nonexistent buildings/landmarks
1. April 1 release that causes huge swaths of the Internet-wary population to roll eyes at the prospect of being fooled again and not download the song at all--only it turns out that it's actually real. Oh, wait!
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.