33 Ways to Tell You're Spending Too Much Time in Oak Cliff
In many ways Oak Cliff is the soul of Dallas -- home to several of its best restaurants and most vital residents. Its finest music venue, The Kessler, is the great counter-argument to all those who would accuse Dallas of worshipping only the new and shiny. The theater is an architectural marvel, victim of a tornado and a fire and years of neglect and now a careful, beautiful listening room. It's right where it belongs.
You love Oak Cliff, but have you ever wondered if you've been living there for too long? If any of the following indicators hit close to home, the question has probably crossed your mind before.
33. Everyone you know is self-employed.
E.Z. MO Breezy Presents...Grits & Biscuits
TicketsSat., Dec. 10, 9:00pm
World Famous Gospel Brunch
TicketsSun., Dec. 11, 10:30am
The Brian Setzer 13th Annual Christmas Rocks! Tour
TicketsSun., Dec. 11, 6:00pm
Kelsea Ballerini - The First Time Tour
TicketsTue., Dec. 13, 8:00pm
TicketsWed., Dec. 14, 7:00pm
32. Your car reeks of al pastor tacos.
31. Your favorite rapper goes to the same salon as you.
30. Your brunch at Ten Bells Tavern often turns into dinner at Ten Bells Tavern.
29. You don't watch Real Housewives. You just eavesdrop on white women in the Bishop Arts District on the weekends.
28. You have a preferred elotes man.
27. Every March 31st, you go to Country Burger for a Selena burger. RIP.
25. You can locate and avoid every pothole on the streets.
24. Your weed man is also your carnita man (and menudo man).
23. What is an ice cream truck? Pickles on sno cones are all you know.
22. Everyone you know is working on her mixtape.
21. When you order nachos, you get flaming hot Cheetos with cheese on top.
20. You have about six pounds of leftover taqueria salsas in your fridge.
19. You can smell tablitas grilling from a three block radius.
17. You take your classy dates to the Kessler.
16. Your favorite weekend pastime is counting Michael Kors purses in the Bishop Arts District.
15. Half your day to day transactions involve bartering.
14. You wake up to roosters more often than your alarm clock.
13. You can be regarded as successful without owning a car.
12. You'd rather have fried chicken than PBR at your concerts.
11. You see cops everywhere, but they never get out of their cars.
9. Adopt a dog? Like from the sidewalk?
8. The homeless people you know carry cell phones.
6. Your eyebrows are thinning by the week.
7. You go to get a haircut and bring your entire family, including the babysitter.
5. Your paleta man sells beer.
4. Your one stop shop is Family Dollar.
3. The waitresses at Normas start to remember your order.
2. All the reverends, pastors, and priests curse.
1. There are grown ups playing soccer in the street. With referees and everything.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.