1. I made a tape of Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott's ...So Addictive and Peaches' The Teaches of Peaches and measured the entire summer by it. (I coaxed myself onto a plane at Christmas with this tape in my Walkman.) There's something confident, coy and real--almost grade-school--in the rapping-about-your-tits genre, and it makes everyone from Madonna to Le Tigre to Judith Butler look stuffy and unaware.
2. No way do I believe that The Strokes and that Motorcycle Club band actually exist. Tight-pants music was bound to hit MTV some day, but how did it become this boring? I was busy listening to Erase Errata's Other Animals LP.
3. Nelly Furtado is almost as annoying as Alicia Keys.
4. I didn't even have to hear D-12 to realize that I wrote a bunch of stuff about Eminem last December that was total hooey.
Deftones & Rise Against
TicketsTue., Jun. 27, 6:30pm
TicketsThu., Jun. 29, 8:00pm
Hyper Space Tour: Boston With Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
TicketsFri., Jun. 30, 7:30pm
TicketsFri., Jun. 30, 9:00pm
Rockstar Energy presents: All Time Low - Young Renegades Tour
TicketsSat., Jul. 1, 6:00pm
5. Whiskeytown's Pneumonia was amazing, but Ryan Adams' Gold makes me want to sing, "Life is a highwaaaay..." That's not a good thing.
6. David Pajo finally got it right, with grating Jerry Jeff Walker covers on Papa M Sings and the comparable opus, Whatever, Mortal.
7. Is Lucinda Williams single-handedly responsible for her artistic decisions, or are her handlers at fault? Essence was mediocre, but I'm over it. Seeing a woman who writes like she does consent to being airbrushed and (so poorly) mass-marketed makes for a fucking shame.
8. The future will consist of Tracy + The Plastics, Subtonix and Monitr Bats, if we're lucky.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Dallas, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.