Beyoncé and Jay Z's Most World-Conquering Music Videos
"Single Ladies" is about as boss as it gets. Is it Bey's most world-beating video though?
Screenshot from "Single Ladies"
Beyoncé and Jay Z will bring their unique blend of braggadacio and badassery to AT&T Stadium tonight, and we can only assume that they'll be taking over the entire metroplex. Easily the music industry's biggest power couple (if not just the biggest period), their long-awaited joint On The Run Tour is just the thing to solidify their world-beating status. Whether we believe Page Six and its breakup rumors or not, we're just excited to hear and see these two in one big stadium.
In honor of Bey and Jay's arrival, here are their top 10 that show us just who runs the world. (Hint: it involves at least one girl.) It's basically just them being all sorts of extraordinary.
See also: Jay Z and Beyoncé's "On the Run" Tour Coming to Dallas July 22 Beyonce at American Airlines Center, 7/6/13: Review Jay Z Proves to Be One of Pop Music's Most Gracious Performers at Minimal Dallas Show
10. "99 Problems" by Jay Z Just four years prior to his marriage to Beyoncé, Jay Z was rapping about his problems sans any woman. Ah, times were much simpler then.
9. "Diva" by Beyoncé Beyoncé taught us the true meaning of Diva with this song and we know we can never repay her. But in order to do our best, we'll watch this video on repeat. Our favorite part is when she opens up her fan to reveal money lining it. Classic.
8. "Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)" by Jay-Z There's something cliché about a millionaire rapper reflecting on his tough past, but hey, we're not complaining. We're just happy this video showcases a softer side of Jay Z, who sings here with some young children.
7. "Run the World (Girls)" by Beyoncé This video seems to be the epitome of everything Beyoncé stands for. She explains that women are in fact strong enough to bear the children, and then turn around and get right back to business soon afterward. God bless Beyoncé.
6. "Dirt Off Your Shoulder" by Jay Z This video pretty much oozes Jay Z's coolness with his simple dusting-off-the-shoulder maneuver anytime he catches a bad break. And we'll always love him for that.
5. "If I Were A Boy" by Beyoncé In an effort to challenge gender roles, yet maintain her own identity as a woman, Beyoncé begins this video by portraying a man's characteristics: unfaithfulness and sneaking around. Then about halfway through, the roles reverse, revealing the man was the one actually doing the sneaking around. It's one of Beyoncé's more thoughtful videos.
4. "'03 Bonnie and Clyde" by Jay Z featuring Beyoncé Who doesn't love seeing a classic story of two robbers depicted in a music video? Except when Jay and Bey are the leading stars, there's sure to be a much happier glamorous ending.
3. "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)" by Beyoncé Kanye West once made a big hoopla about this being one of the best music videos of all time and we don't really feel like disagreeing with him. It gave us some now-iconic dance moves, including the flicking of the ringless left hand and some other butt-slapping moves. The video is all kinds of simple with its black and white finish. Beyoncé and her two dancers wear just a leotard, but everything about this video is simply great.
2. "Drunk in Love" by Beyoncé featuring Jay Z First Beyoncé shouted to the world that she was "Crazy in Love," but as she aged, she grew drunk with the excess. And we can't blame her. Jay Z, a glass of wine and the beach will do that to just about anyone.
1. "Crazy in Love" by Beyoncé featuring Jay Z This is No. 1 on the list because it's what helped Beyoncé ditch those Destiny's Child girls into oblivion and blossom into a full-blown female megastar. Also, we can't help but smile around 3:13 when the video slows down and she licks her thumb and slides it down her chest. Best Beyoncé moment ever? Probably right behind shutting down the Super Bowl.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.