Dawes' Tay Strathairn Lists For Us His All-Time Top Five Favorite Things About Texas
Dawes' Tay Straithairn
No, the band's not exactly new to us around the metroplex. Hell, they were just here last month, playing the Fort Worth Music Festival.
Ah, well, here's fun and new-ish bit of news: The guys were recently stamped with VH1's "You Ought To Know" seal of approval, effectively making them video stars with their in-VH1-rotation clip for "Time Spent in Los Angeles," and not merely the word-of-mouth darlings they've been for the last two years.
With the release of their second album, the mellow gold mine that is Nothing is Wrong, it's easy to imagine that the crowds will only grow larger for the harmonic and laid back quartet from the Golden State. While we're still suckers for the group's 2009 North Hills debut, enough people seem to dig the new one to the point where this band seems destined to forever be on the road, pleasing fans both new and old.
Indeed, Taylor Goldsmith, Tay Strathairn, Griffin Goldsmith and Wylie Gelber will have yet another chance here in North Texas to do just that tomorrow night, this time on a bill at Dada alongside Blitzen Trapper.
Since Dawes have played in and around Texas so much, we thought we'd get a taste of what their favorite things about our grand state are.
After the jump, Tay Strathairn, Dawes keyboardist and son of Hollywood star David Strathairn, gives us his All-Time Top Five Favorite Things About Texas.
Dawes' Tay Strathairn's All-Time Top Five Favorite Things About Texas
1. BBQ. There is nothing like it anywhere else. It's just the best barbecue out there.
2. Music. Waylon, Willie, Roger Miller, Townes. And that's just to name a few.
3. Marfa. It's such a cool place. We've played there a couple of times, and I'm always confounded as to how such a place exists in the middle of nowhere.
4. Terrence Malick. He's made some of the best movies ever. I especially like Days of Heaven and Badlands.
5. Andy Pettitte. I'm from New York. This guy from Texas will always hold a special place in my heart.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Dallas, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.