DC9er Mixtape: The Flashback Episode
Since DJs are frequently juggling projects, picking up new nights, creating new mixes, and, well, always trying to stay on top of the game, we thought that, before moving forward to our next batch of local DJs, it'd be fun to re-cap the first lot and see what some of them have been up to since being featured on DC9er.
Hit the jump for an update on 13 of our favorite local DJs.
- DJ Merritt recently walked home with a DOMA award for Best DJ, and finds himself busy as ever these days, pairing up with Left/Right to remix Barry Ashworth of UK group, Dub Pistols' side project Rumble Fish. Merritt is also getting ready to start working some original music with area producer LehtMoJoe.
- Wanz Dover has been busy prepping for the release of his Blixaboy 12-inch EP, Robot Girlz, and debut album, Kliks & Politiks, which is set to drop in October. Dover is also about to start hosting a show on Dubterrain Internet Radio, has been occasionally doing Soular Power DJ sets at Lee Harvey's, and his post-punk band The Black Dotz is about to start playing shows again after a six-month break. Click the above links for a taste of some of Dover's new material.
- DJG has been working on bringing Houston band, FISKADORO, to Dallas to play a show on Saturday, September 4. Marriage Material and Cuckoo Byrds will also be performing at that show, along with DJG and Wanz Dover. The event starts at 9 p.m. at The Nightmare, which is located at 2810 Elm Street. Cover is five bucks. Check out FISKADOR here.
- Yeahdef is now the proud father of three weeklies these days, and he's planning a festival called "Rock The Republic" to be held in College Station in October. Yeadef also recently remixed FUR'S "Clear Throat." And he says we can expect some original tunes from him in the not-so-distant future.
- DJ INDO is busy promoting and getting ready for his house music monthly, Groove Suite, which will launch on Saturday, August 28, at Fallout Lounge. The music starts at at 9 p.m. and goes till close.
- DJ TraDeMarx is still spinning at Pizza Lounge on Saturdays, and has a new bi-weekly at Fallout lounge called Disco Cube. Also, feel free to check out his ™ Without Love ™ mix, a short but sweet mix of his that he says is his "favorite mix so far."
- Wild In The Streets has been busy playing shows with the band Afterhours with George Quartz, in which she plays alto sax and sing backup vocals. Afterhours with George Quartz recently played a couple shows in Dallas, and will be playing a show in Austin this Saturday at Victory Grill. Wild In The Streets is still DJing the first Thursday of every month at the Amsterdam Bar. On a bit of a random note, she also recently met actress Pam Grier, and gave her a copy of her DC9er mix. We're going Hollywood, y'all!
- Left/Right has two new tunes out this week, including the single, "Organizized," which has been released on Swedish Lable, Sound Of Habib. Left/Right also has a gig in Phoenix coming up in November, and he plans to embark on a North American Tour next summer with Florida producer Farace. Also, you can check out Left/Right's Night Mix, the sequel to the Day Mix we posted last month, which aired on Edgeclub a few weeks ago.
- Mikey Rodge has been spending his energy planning and promoting his Dance Your Face Off parties at The Cavern. The next one is this Saturday with live performances from Florene, Missions (from Austin), and Cygnus, as well as a DJ set from Mikey himself. Next month, Dance Your Face Off will feature a performance from Damaged Good$, along with a few opening acts that are TBA. More information can be found here. Also, here is a link to the first volume of his DYFO mix tape series from earlier this year. The next one will be released in mid-September.
- Our inaugural DC9er guest, Tony Schwa, is still holding down his weekly, Cool Out, every Monday night at The Cavern. And, to "lighten [his] load," he'll be having guest DJs spinning with him more often. Among those joining him in the near future: JT Donaldson, DJ A1 and DJ Sober. Tony's also got some live performances planned for Cool Out in the upcoming months. Says Schwa: "Along with a slight expansion on format--funk, soul, disco, house, broken, trip hop--I believe this is the beginning of a fresh new Cool Out." Also, make sure to keep an eye on Schwa's soundcloud page for some new original tracks.
- DJ Avi is currently working on a new mix called "Jewish House Mafia," which he says "will contain all the favorite club hits." Avi also says he's been booked for all of Super Bowl weekend already. Other than that, he's working on some original production and some remixes, and still spinning at AURA every Friday and Saturday.
DJ Red Eye has been very busy, and has some new releases coming out, including a few collaborations
with Justin Harris, Kirby Lecture and Maetrik. As for upcoming gigs,
Red Eye has a residency at Beauty Bar, and he'll be DJing the upcoming Zubar
Anniversary party. But he has also announced that he'll soon be moving to Austin.
- Lastly, DJ Five Easy Pieces is playing in the band Goldilocks and The Rock, and passes along a new mix for the summer, for your listening pleasure. Give it a listen here.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.