Five Sad Bastard Songs From 2011 (And When To Use Them)
Make sure you're alone, cold and in the dark before listening to these songs.
We're just on the cusp of a time change. Oh, you know what that means. You know. It means: it'll get darker soon, the clouds will hang gray and low in the sky, and it'll be bone cold. Unless it's not cold because Texas is like an overcooked pizza.
Anyway, as we near Thanksgiving, it's entirely possible that you're going to need some soul-soothing (or -crushing), medicinal, sad-bastard folk songs from this great year of music to remedy the depressing fall change. Commiseration loves a companion, you know.
So, below: The top five folky songs from 2011 to hold your hand on the way to getting-dark-at-five-o-clock. Also? We've listed instructions on the precise life moment in which you should listen to them. There, there; it's going to be OK.
5. "East Harlem," Beirut When to Listen: Cue this song up on city transportation (subway or bus preferred), and longingly stare any nearby happy couples. Use headphones so you can't hear your own judging.
4. "Lucky Now," Ryan Adams When to Listen: Roam around a suburban neighborhood on foot, un-suspiciously looking for two trash cans that are perched on the curb ready for collection. Sit between them. Notice that they're still warm from the dinner-for-two from the house behind you.
3. "Banks of the Leopold Canal," Deep Dark Woods When to Listen: Have the song playing loudly in the kitchen when you open your fridge and realize it's empty, save for some take-out pizza and a moldy sriracha bottle.
2. "The Heart Is Willing," AA Bondy When to Listen: At the exact moment when you light all your clothes on fire. Make sure you're crying. And naked.
1. "Beth / Rest," Bon Iver When to Listen: Over news of the impending apocalypse.
Bonus Can't-See-Through-The-Tears Song: "I Can't Make You Love Me," Bon Iver
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.