Living the VIP Life at ACL Fest
I got a pleasant surprise for this ACL weekend when I checked in at the press office Friday. Included among our wristbands was a set of VIP passes for all three days of the festival.
I had hoped to get a glimpse of the VIP Grove to see what could possibly be worth an extra $680 or so for the weekend. Maybe a security guard could escort me through and make sure that I didn’t get my filthy commoner hands on any of the amenities. But with this unexpected windfall, I would actually get to experience it firsthand.
My excitement was short-lived.
Let’s go through the VIP extras bullet by bullet, shall we?
* Food servings daily I only grabbed a couple of meals in the VIP Grove, but both times, the food servings amounted to a buffet line with Central Market’s simulation of Tex-Mex. The fajita meat was excellent, sure, and you could gorge yourself on as much guacamole as you want. For $850, though, you’d think the food would be available from open to close, but that isn’t the case: lunch and dinner are served at set hours. * Gourmet Happy Hour with guest chef tastings I’m pretty sure I missed it Friday and Saturday, as I think it coincided with happy hour in the media tent. Unless the free samples of ceviche were considered a “gourmet happy hour.” Shellfish in the middle of a hot afternoon in Texas? What could possibly go wrong?
* Beer, wine, water and specialty drinks This is where a VIP pass could potentially be worth the money, if you’ve got a liver of iron to withstand a constant onslaught of free wine, Heineken and Tito’s vodka, and a heart of stone to ignore the tip jars.
* ACL mini spa and misting area The guests getting massages certainly looked content, but the masseurs were completely booked for the day by early in the afternoon.
* Shade and relaxed seating in the VIP Grove (no stage seating/viewing) By “relaxed seating,” they mean, “plastic lawn chairs.” But the water fountain certainly added a bit of ambience.
* Air conditioned restrooms These beat the hell out of a sun-ripened Port-O-Potty for sure. *VIP parking pass (with purchase of four VIP passes only) $3,400 for a VIP parking pass? What a bargain!
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.