The Best Songs in Dallas Music, 2010: Leg Sweeper Does It For The Weekend at No. 14
[Over the next few weeks, we'll be presenting our favorite local songs of the year, counting down from No. 25 to No. 1, one track a day. Today, we take an in-depth look at song No. 14 on the list -- and, please, feel free to click after the jump to grab a free download of the track. Also after the jump, check out songs No. 50-15 in the Top 50 list that will update as it grows...]
Over the summer, seemingly out of nowhere, it seemed that everyone taking pride in the fact that they constantly keep an ear to the ground in the Dallas music scene had a new favorite band.
The band, perhaps in a nod to The Karate Kid and perhaps not, was called Leg Sweeper. And, like other duos before them, this garage-heavy punk duo boasted a simple set-up -- just a guitar and drums. But whereas other duos seem to constantly garner props for sounding like an outfit boasting far more than just two members, this one was different. It didn't sound especially large or loud. And its songwriting wasn't especially complicated either.
And, really, Leg Sweeper, at its core, is a pretty simple concept -- just guitarist Justin Gomez and drummer Tayor Stolly playing their instruments at an above-adequate level, and not trying to wow anyone.
Linkin Park: One More Light World Tour
TicketsFri., Aug. 25, 7:30pm
Steven Tyler & the Loving Mary Band
TicketsFri., Aug. 25, 8:00pm
City and Colour - USA Tour 2017
TicketsFri., Aug. 25, 8:00pm
Clint Black with Steve Wariner
TicketsSat., Aug. 26, 7:00pm
Lady Antebellum: You Look Good Tour 2017
TicketsSat., Aug. 26, 7:30pm
So why the sudden commotion?
Because, dammit, it's just fun as hell.
With a sound that bridges the gap between Wavves and Weezer, Leg Sweeper isn't trying to be anything that it isn't. As for what it is, well, that's pretty simple: Two fairly regular twentysomething dudes with tongue-in-cheek sense of humor and penchants for fast-paced, simplistic punk-rock jams.
That whole aesthetic comes to a head in "Sexy Weekend," just one of four fabulous cuts of the duo's summer-released debut EP, appropriately named, simply, The EP.
No one will argue that "Sexy Weekend" is a particularly complex song, or that its lyrics ("Hey girl, you know you do it for me," etc.) are especially prescient. But sometimes music doesn't have to make you think; sometimes you just want something to bounce along with while enjoying some mindless fun.
And, at the risk of degrading Leg Sweeper's efforts on the impossibly enjoyable The EP, that's what this band does best. It's pretty genius, actually.
The Top 50 Local Songs of 2010 (Links to music videos and free song downloads available where applicable; links to streams where neither a download nor video exists.)
50. Dear Human - "Waiting"
49. Nervous Curtains - "All Yesterday's Parties"
48. Spector 45 - "Try Try Try"
47. Smile Smile - "Beg You To Stay"
46. Robert Gomez - "A Natural State"
45. Florene - "Parc Bitch"
44. Mount Righteous - "Eat Your Wife and Kiss The Barbecue"
43. The Strange Boys - "Be Brave"
42. Soft Environmental Collapse - "A Horse & Buggy Complex"
41. Deepspace5 - "Killing With Kindness"
40. Sextape -- "Lubricated Intimacy"
39. Museum Creatures - "Song ABC"
38. Ocelot - "Beating Hears"
37. Sir Silky - "The Squeeze (The Answer)"
36. Bone - "Homegurl"
35. Ishi - "Come Closer"
34. Hoyotoho - "Born Black"
33. Dorrough - "Get Big"
32. Katie Carroll - "Paper Girl"
31. Final Club - "Ruded"
30. Treal Lee & Prince Rick - "Throwed Off (Fuck Errbody)"
29. South San Gabriel - "All Night Long"
28. The Rocket Summer - "Walls"
27. Darktown Strutters - "Lucifer Rising"
26. School of Seven Bells - "Windstorm"
25. Damaged Good$ - "WEHATEDAMAGEDGOOD$TOO"
24. The Burning Hotels - "Austin's Birthday"
23. Doug Burr - "At The Public Dance"
22. The Flowers of God
21. Dondria -- "You're The One"
20. Sundress -- "Locust"
19. Blixaboy -- "Lion Eyes (featuring Emil Rapstine)"
18. A.Dd+ feat. Brown of Sore Losers -- "Likeamug"
17. The Secret Handshake -- "Every Single Time"
16. Lalagray -- "The Hard Part"
15. Sore Losers - "Free Loaders"
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Dallas, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.