Things You Probably Didn't Know About The Goodie Mob
Founded in the mid-'90s, Goodie Mob is one of Southern hip-hop's most revered acts. The Atlanta foursome, led by rotund crooner Cee-Lo Green in his pre-Gnarls Barkley days, was so uniquely talented, its oddball behavior was interpreted by many rap pundits as genius. Clearly, Cee-Lo wore that fishnet shirt and blond wig because he's so much smarter than you or me.
And for the first time in 10 years, the proper lineup of the Mob is performing together on an 11-city tour that stops in Dallas on Sunday. This is huge.
However, even when Goodie Mob was really popular, it wasn't really all that mainstream popular. And fans of the group can be proper elitists, so here are a few things you should know before you head out to the show.
Goodie Mob performs Sunday, January 17,at House of Blues.
1. There are, in fact, more people in Goodie Mob than just Cee-Lo. Three more, to be exact: Big Gipp, Khujo (pronounced Coo-Joe) and T-Mo (pronounced T-Mo).
2. Any review, profile or article about Goodie Mob will inevitably feature wayward plays on the term "soul food," the title of the group's breakthrough 1995 album. Work this in wherever you can, i.e., "Goodie Mob's music is real soul food, no table scraps." Or, if talking to a lady, "May I soul-food you a drink?"
3. Goodie Mob is a backronym meaning "The GOOD DIE Mostly Over Bullshit." Cee-Lo notes on Soul Food that if you remove one of the O's, it also stands for "GOD Is Every Man of Blackness." Conversely, if you take away all the letters and replace them with EWKORCITTS, it spells out "We Rock Tits."
4. "Backronym," by the way, is not a made-up word. It refers to when a word is reinvented as an acronym. Don't front—you had no idea.
5. In 2007, Khujo had his right leg amputated below the knee following a car crash. No joke.
6. Goodie Mob is credited with having coined the phrase "Dirty South." That's great and all, but we're more concerned with who coined the phrase "coined the phrase."
7. After ringleader Cee-Lo temporarily left the group, Goodie Mob put out an album titled One Monkey Don't Stop No Show. The group claimed it was not a shot at 'Lo; everyone knew better.
8. The group appeared in the movie Mystery Men. If you didn't notice them, that's because they were disguised as the Not So Goodie Mob. Oh, that clever Ben Stiller.
9. If you search the phrase "Goodie Mob" in Google images with the filter off, it only takes four pages before you find a picture of what appears to be two men fellating each other in a standing 69.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.