Yeah, Buddy: Dorrough's "Ice Cream Paint Job" Turns Into A Borderline Internet Meme
In recent weeks, Dorrough's breakthrough single has seen the man from Lancaster getting all sorts of attention--and all kinds, too, in the forms of remixes, covers and even, yup, some parodies.
(He's even popped up on the most recent remix for The New Boyz's "You're A Jerk," the song at the forefront of Los Angeles' new dance-hop scene, Jerking, which our sister paper in LA says is currently jostling with the D-Town Boogie for nationwide supremecy.)
Anyway, after the jump, a far more in-depth breakdown than probably necessary of all the attention sent Mr. D-O-Double-R's way.
1. Traditional Hip-Hop Remixes...
Back in July, we hipped you to what turned out to be just of the tip of the iceberg when it comes to remixes of "Ice Cream Paint Job": A re-do of the track featuring verses from the likes of hip-hop heavyweights Jermaine Dupri, Soulja Boy, Jim Jones, Slim Thug, E-40 and Rich Boy. Surprisingly, since that first take, the names attached to later remixes have only become more interesting...
- Just last week, a new remix on the track appeaed on the blogosphere, this one again featuring verses from Soulja Boy and Jim Jones, but also Nipsey Hussle and the dogfather himself, Snoop Dogg.
- At around the same time, another remix popped up, this one featuring verses from a pretty solid selection of DFW hip-hop all-stars: Fat Pimp, Tum Tum, Big Hoodboss and JB. Check it out below.
2. The Dance Club Remixes/Mash-ups.
Instead of just adding verses to the repetitive beat boasted by the original, at least four DJs (that we could find) went the opposite route, keeping Dorrough's verses but changing up the beat he raps over...
- DJ Apt One offers an impressive, funked out take with his simply named, "Ice Cream Paint Job (DJ Apt One Remix)."
- The LOL Boys go another route, mashing up Dorrough's vocals with a track called "Diesel Not Patrol" from drum-and-bass/grime artist Sukh Knight. The result: "Diesel Paint Job," a track that goes far harder than the original version of the track.
- Popular blog The Hood Internet, meanwhile, combines Dorrough's vrhymes with a beat from UK-based ehtereal pop artist Bibio's track, "Fire Ant," for a version, fittingly, called "Fire Ant Paint Job," that sounds like something straight out of an Erykah Badu disc. A personal favorite of mine.
- Lastly, Dallas' own DJ Fishr Pryce, recently inducted into the nationwide DJ collective Bum Squad DJs, offers up "Hard Rock Paint Job," which tosses Dorrough's vocals over a sample of Metallica's "Sad But True," somewhat surprisingly turning the track into even more recognizable dancehall fare.
3. The Parodies.
Youtube's filled with people with too much time on their hands looking for a laugh, and Dorrough's seen his fair share of "Ice Cream Paint Job" parodies as a result...
- First up, "Vaseline Lip Job," a song about a girl whose lips are chapped and who could really use some vaseline right about now...
- This next one might not be the most couth of the bunch, but, since we're posting parodies, then fine. Here's Yaw J.B. with, ahem, "I Need A Blow Job"...
- Lastly, my personal favorite. It's called "I Eat Shrimp." It's probably the most clever of the bunch--complete, even, with references to Rachel Ray and tiger prawn.
4. The Acoustic Cover
Plenty of hip-hop songs get acoustic covers--Mandy Moore even had a moderate hit covering Rihanna's "Umbrella," and we'd be remiss not to mention Dynamite Hack's take on Eazy-E's "Boyz N The Hood"--but seeing "Ice Cream Paint Job" get an acoustic-pop remix from California-based electro-pop outfit The Cataracs was a bit of a surprise. It sure shows off the covered-up--and pretty undeniable--pop melody hidden beneath the sheen of the original, though...
(Download link: "Ice Cream Paint Job (Acoustic)"- The Cataracs)
...turns out a fresh coat of paint reallycan
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.