A Mineral Wells Woman Died from Doing Meth, Crawling into Her Freezer
When Shannon Herrin's teenage son found his mom dead in her garage in August, Mineral Wells police were perplexed. There was no evidence of murder -- no trauma, no signs of a struggle, no one with any apparent reason to want her dead -- and yet there was the indisputable fact that Herrin's body was discovered crammed into her own chest freezer, a place 38-year-old women don't typically wind up of their own volition.
Turns out, there's a surprisingly straightforward explanation: Herrin was really high on meth.
Authorities released the results of Herrin's autopsy on Thursday, which said that she "likely crawled into the freezer while under the effects of methamphetamine," which the fresh puncture wounds on her arm suggests she shot up.
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that she grabbed a coat before crawling inside freezer. It wasn't enough to stave off the combination of the "toxic effects of methamphetamine" and hypothermia the medical examiner says caused her death.
So, at the risk of belaboring the obvious here, we offer a piece of advice: don't do meth. It's a helluva drug.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Observer's biggest stories.
- Talking Trump, Cruz and the Clintons With Former GOP Hit Man Roger Stone
Fri., Dec. 4, 7:30pm
Fri., Dec. 4, 8:00pm
Sat., Dec. 5, 12:00am
Sat., Dec. 5, 12:30pm
- Dallas Isn't Very Good at Fighting Blight
- Texas' Embarrassing House Science Chairman Is Investigating Climate Scientists