10. Tony Romo spent about 10 minutes after practice chatting with long-time San Antonio Spurs' pest Bruce Bowen. Let's hope the topic was winning, not defense.
9. For the first time in training camp the Cowboys brought in referees. Today's lone practice focused on goal-line situations.
8. Amazingly, Flozell Adams has yet to commit one false-start penalty in camp. Part of Wade Phillips' increased accountability, players are yanked out of plays if they produce pre-snap penalties. Adams, however, doesn't look especially healthy. Seriously, watching the dude slowly hobble off the field after practice conjures images of Fred Sanford.
7. Saw three - count 'em three - unique plays by the Cowboys in the last two days. Interesting plays to a receiver and one out of perhaps a bootleg. Sorry, but per Cowboys' rules, I'm not allowed to provide any more information.
6. Today brought hazing, in the form of some of the worst haircuts this side of Moe, Larry and Curly. Veteran offensive linemen "encouraged" the team's four rookies - Travis Bright, Greg Isdaner, Robert Brewster and Andre Douglas - to allow their noggins' to become canvanses. Brewster had Leonard Davis' initials shaved into his hair while Isdaner got his dome shaved clean while leaving scraggly hair on the sides and around the back - better known as the Ron Washington. "It was pretty funny," said Wade Phillips. "The guys got a big laugh out of it. One of 'em looked like one of the three stooges."
5. Seems to me Orlando Scandrick has the early edge on Mike Jenkins for the right cornerback job. But, then again, it might just be my eternal cringing at Jenkins allowing the Giants' Derrick Ward to skate into the end zone untouched in the 35-14 loss in New York. "I'm not going to let one play ruin my reputation," Jenkins says. "I'm a physical player. I know that. That's why the Cowboys drafted me in the first round."
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
4. New defensive lineman Igor Olshansky is a badass. Long hair. Tattoos. Mean streak. The works. He is, after all, the grandson of Abraham Rubashevsky, who fought for the Soviet Union's Red Army in World War II.
3. Jerry Jones knows how to party. But he also knows how to please. A good hour after today's practice the owner was still shaking hands, signing autographs and posing for photos.
2. Idea for MartyB TV: A spoof of the Erin Andrews peephole video. Primping. Tossling his hair. Checking out his ass. If done right, could be very funny. Consider this my patent.
1. Somebody had to do it. Turns out it was 105.3 The Fan's Mike Rodriguez. Ask Romo about his break-up with Jessica Simpson, that is. Went down something - er, exactly - like this after Wednesday's practice: Rodriguez: "How would you evaluate the media here at training camp when it comes to respecting your personal life and not asking you all those gossip and tabloid type of questions?" Romo: "I think predominantly the Dallas guys have tried it before. I don't give it too much wiggle room. Nah, people have been great. Obviously, everyone understands that's part of being in the position that I'm in and stuff, that people for some reason want to know about your personal life. And I can understand that. Even if someone asks the question, it's not as if I'm going to look down on someone and think that that's a horrible human being or something. But I just prefer to keep certain things private and try to live a semblance of a normal life off the field." Rodriguez's follow-up: "So ... has it been hard on you after the break-up?" Romo: "Annnd you're that guy. You know, it's just part of life in some ways. I've been out here playing football and going through a lot of different things. I know this: It's great to be out here playing football, and it's great to be at training camp because you love the game. The rest of the stuff is stuff for people to talk about."