Dallas Teen Shot By "Reckless" Dallas Police Officer Now Seeking More Than $10 Million
Kelvion Walker, the 20-year-old Dallas man shot by police officer Amy Wilburn as he sat in a car with his hands up in December 2013, has amended his federal lawsuit to claim higher damages against Wilburn after Dallas Police Department brass criticized Wilburn in depositions last week.
As Sky Chadde reported for Unfair Park, both police chief David Brown and assistant police chief Tom Lawrence called Wilburn's actions reckless and said that she did not follow proper procedure when she rushed the car Walker was sitting in, despite believing incorrectly that he was armed.
Walker now looks to get at least $10 million from Wilburn.
Walker was shot in the gut, underwent multiple surgeries and continues to suffer pain and permanent dysfunction, he says. According to doctors, he has suffered or continues to suffer from depression, nervousness, personality change, post-traumatic stress, impotence, numbness and tingling, sleeplessness and problems with his vision. That's in addition to his having had to be resuscitated after the shooting.
Walker's injuries were made worse, he says, because Wilburn failed to promptly call an ambulance and handcuffed him after he was shot.
For the medical and psychological issues, Walker asks for more than $8 million. Because of the statements made by Brown and Lawrence and other information from the Dallas Police Department, Walker seeks at least $2 million and as much as $17 million in exemplary damages to punish Wilburn for "engaging in unlawful viscious attacks and to deter such actions and/or omissions in the future," says the suit.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Dallas, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.