Garland Game-Makers Taken to NY Court Over Loooong-Delayed Duke Nukem Forever
One of the few things folks have seen from Duke Nukem Forever, in the making since 1997
According to its Web site, Apogee Software "is considered the founder and father of the local Dallas-area game development community," but it's no more. The PC shareware developer's been dead all of a week now, some 12 years after Apogee's 3D Realms announced development of a video game, Duke Nukem Forever, that to this day remains nothing more than screen shots and a demo reel. The game's publisher, Grand Theft Auto-maker Take-Two Interactive Software Inc., said last week it was cutting off funding, guesstimated to be in the eight figures -- to which 3D Realms co-founder Scott Miller said only today that his company didn't take a cent.
There's a good chance the fight over the fate of Duke Nukem Forever will take forever, as it's now tied up in litigation: Bloomberg News notes that Take-Two has sued Garland-based Apogee in New York State Supreme Court, alleging that "Apogee repeatedly assured Take-Two and the video-gaming community that it was diligently working toward competing development of the PC Version of the Duke Nukem Forever," while pocketing $12 million and delivering bupkis. Miller's been little heard from since the shut-down, but at 1:53 a.m. today he surfaced to defend his company: "We didn't get a penny of that money. This, along with so much else, is 100% spin, being eaten up by those who have no clue whatsoever. But, we cannot talk yet. We will, soon..." Shacknews has read the legal docs and reports that "Take-Two is demanding a copy of the Duke Nukem Forever source code."
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Dallas, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.