Kimball High School Students Get Schooled By Common, Dorrough at World's Best Pep Rally
On Friday, our own Danny Fulgencio was at Justin Kimball High School for what he reports was: Best. Pep. Rally. Ever. The reason: The Knights received a surprise visit from actor-activist-and-oh-right-rapper Common,Freedman-fave Dorrough
and MTVeejay Sway as part of the nationwideGet Schooled Challenge
intended to keep kids in school while getting their folks more involved.Said Common
, the son of a teacher, "It's time for you to step up to a higher level."
Reports Danny, whose photos follow in advance of a more complete slide show, more than 800 students filled the Kimball auditorium Friday afternoon; they had no idea why (or who) beforehand. Inspirational speeches, improv dancing and one "Ice Cream Paint Job" later, it was, reports Danny, "far cooler than any pep rally I ever attended." Danny's notes:
- DJ ASAP warms up the crowd as students file into the auditorium. It's very loud hip-hop you couldn't help but bob your head to.
- Sway MCs the event, encouraging students to stay in school.
- Common steps on the stage after some build-up. The crowd goes nuts.
- Common kicks a killer freestyle session about Dallas and Oak Cliff. The crowd goes nuts.
- Dorrough steps on stage after some build-up. The crowd goes nuts.
- Common, Dorrough and Sway field questions on education from students.
- Common raps for the students, they go nuts. Common invites students to come dance on stage.
- Dorrough raps for the students -- you guessed it, they go nuts.
And MTV's Sway Calloway
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Observer's biggest stories.
- That's It Then: The Cowboys 2015 Season Gets Put Out of Its Misery
- The Cowboys' 5 Biggest Thanksgiving Turkeys
- Live From London: Your Holiday Weekend Weather Apocaforecast