Michael Schmidt, Uptown Lawyer Shot By Police, Had Drugs, Penis-Shaped Marijuana Pipe in His Home
There hasn't been a satisfying explanation as to why Michael Schmidt, a successful Dallas trial lawyer described by friends as a "good, good person," barricaded himself in an Uptown apartment complex and opened fire on police while his 11-year-old daughter sat in his apartment. Probably, there never will be. But a list of the items found in Schmidt's home obtained by WFAA offers ... clues? Red herrings? A voyeuristic glimpse of an unsettled life?
According to an affidavit, detectives found some normal stuff -- paperwork, iPads, an omega 3 supplement -- and some stuff that wasn't so run-of-the-mill. Among the contents of a safe in Schmidt's apartment were:
- a clear plastic baggie containing a white powdery substance;
- a clear plastic baggie containing a green leafy substance;
- multiple baggies and bottles containing pills of various colors;
- 10 Texas driver's licenses; and
- a penis-shaped marijuana pipe.
- various ammunition that will be compared with shell casings from the scene of Schmidt's shootout with police.
It doesn't take a forensic scientist to deduce the white powdery and green leafy substances might be. Weaving those into a coherent narrative explaining Schmidt's apparent suicide-by-cop will be considerably more difficult.
Here's a copy of the affidavit, via WFAA:
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.
- Check Out the Raw Video From Wednesday's Low-Speed Chase
- Giving Dallas Police Body Cameras Is the Easy Part
- District 10 Candidate Adam McGough Lines Up Against the Trinity Road