Michael Schmidt, Uptown Lawyer Shot By Police, Had Drugs, Penis-Shaped Marijuana Pipe in His Home
There hasn't been a satisfying explanation as to why Michael Schmidt, a successful Dallas trial lawyer described by friends as a "good, good person," barricaded himself in an Uptown apartment complex and opened fire on police while his 11-year-old daughter sat in his apartment. Probably, there never will be. But a list of the items found in Schmidt's home obtained by WFAA offers ... clues? Red herrings? A voyeuristic glimpse of an unsettled life?
According to an affidavit, detectives found some normal stuff -- paperwork, iPads, an omega 3 supplement -- and some stuff that wasn't so run-of-the-mill. Among the contents of a safe in Schmidt's apartment were:
- a clear plastic baggie containing a white powdery substance;
- a clear plastic baggie containing a green leafy substance;
- multiple baggies and bottles containing pills of various colors;
- 10 Texas driver's licenses; and
- a penis-shaped marijuana pipe.
- various ammunition that will be compared with shell casings from the scene of Schmidt's shootout with police.
It doesn't take a forensic scientist to deduce the white powdery and green leafy substances might be. Weaving those into a coherent narrative explaining Schmidt's apparent suicide-by-cop will be considerably more difficult.
Here's a copy of the affidavit, via WFAA:
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Dallas, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.