Turns out, the Dallas Independent School District's decision to take away teachers' collaborative planning time -- a very reluctant budget cut -- has necessitated a change to schools' start times next year, which begins August 22. So here's the deal: School's starting just a little bit later next year, which means, of course, it'll run a little later. District spokesman Jon Dahlander says the hope is that will allow teachers a little bit of planning time before school starts.
Which is good news for some (high school at 9!?!?!), and potential bad news for others. When I just told my wife the boy now has to be at school at 8:15 rather than 8, she said, "And what about parents trying to get to their jobs?" Good question. The full schedule follows. Hit it.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
DALLAS-Dallas Independent School District schools will have new start and end times for the 2011-2012 school year beginning August 22.
As collaborative planning time will no longer be scheduled at the campuses, new start and end times for the school day will give campuses flexibility in providing planning time for staff.
The new hours are:
• Full-day prekindergarten: 8:15 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
• Half-day prekindergarten: 8:15 a.m. to 11:15 p.m. and
12:15 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
• Elementary schools: 8:15 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
• Middle schools: 8:45 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
• High schools: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Vanguards (grades 4-6): 8:15 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
• Academies: 8:45 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
• Montessori schools: 8:15 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
- George Bannerman Dealey Montessori
- Harry Stone Montessori
• Magnet high schools: 9:15 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.
- Irma Lerma Rangel Young Women's Leadership School
- Skyline Career Development Center
• Booker T. Washington School for the Performing and Visual Arts: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.