Some DPD (and DSO) News & Notes While We Play a Little Early-Morning Catch-Up
Between the weather and the Rosh a few things fell through the cracks yesterday. Like, oh, formerFBI agent Terence Hart's report to City Manager Mary Suhm
concerningthe funeral procession for Dallas Police Chief David Brown's son
. City Hall sent the 11-page doc, and Suhm's accompanying memo, late Wednesday evening. Both follow in full after the jump, but long story short: The only person whoreally
goofed was Deputy Chief Julian Bernal, who Hart and co-author Drew Hoffman single out for disciplinary action for telling the media he called for the police escort in part "out of respect for [his] chief." Hart and Hoffman write that Bernal "was completely unaware of the effect his comments ... would have on the DPD and the City of Dallas." Dallas Police Association head Glenn White, of course,is livid
with the report's conclusions.
Speaking of the chief of police, right after City Hall sent that report, DPD followed with a separate announcement of its own concerning Chief Brown's decision to place two officers on administrative leave. The reason: Says the release, officers Paul Bauer and Kevin Randolph, chased a motorcycle on Tuesday night, at around 9 p.m., from the 2500 block of Martin Luther King Boulevard to 4900 S. Lamar Street. They arrested the driver, but, says the department:
A criminal investigation is now being conducted by the department's Public Integrity Unit based on in-car video that shows the officers used an impact weapon and apparently their fists in making the arrest. The video will not be released publicly until the criminal investigation has been completed. The Dallas office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation has also been consulted on the matter. Further federal involvement in the investigation has yet to be determined. In the interest of maintaining the public's trust, Chief Brown has directed that this matter be given high investigative priority.
And now for bad news of a completely different variety: The Dallas Symphony Orchestra has had its issues of late -- a fewhigh-profile cancellations
,the abrupt resignation of its president
and concerns over the bottom line. Last night, the DSO sent further word: Mere hours beforethe opening of this season's classical series
, and the accompanying AT&T Gala,pianist Jeffrey Kahane
, the featured soloist for the late-week and weekend's events, "hascanceled his performance due to illness
." The release says that "Beethoven's Fifth Symphony will be performed in place of the previously scheduled Piano Concerto No. 4. Beethoven's Symphony No. 3, Eroica, will remain on the program, with Jaap van Zweden conducting."
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Observer's biggest stories.
- What's a Neighborhood Plus, Anyway?
Sun., Oct. 11, 3:25pm
Tue., Oct. 13, 7:30pm
Thu., Oct. 15, 6:30pm
Fri., Oct. 16, 7:05pm
- Swiss Preservationists Protested One Wedding House but Defend Another
- Ken Paxton Wants Dan Patrick to Do Scary Things to Women