That's All She Rote
This ain't no Craigslist (oh, how we wish), but after the jump, a British scribe writing a book about Manchester United has an intriguing request for help. And, amazingly, it concerns my favorite soccer team ever: the Dallas Tornado. (Side note: Former Manchester United goalkeeper, Alex Stepney, played for Dallas. But that's not what this is about.) Oh, where have you gone, Kyle Rote Jr.? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you. --Robert Wilonsky
14, Beresford Rd. STRETFORD Manchester M32 OPY England February 2007
Manchester United in DALLAS
If you could print this letter in your newspaper I would be MOST grateful.
1. In February 2008 it will be 50 years since the Munich air crash in which many Manchester United players and officials were killed or injured.
2. I am currently finalising a book on the history of the club from 1945 to 2005 and to help me complete the research I need details of the following match that took place in DALLAS.
29th May 1976 Dallas Tornado v. Manchester United.
3. If any reader went to this match or played in it and has an ORIGINAL copy of the match program or press cuttings etc. then I would like to hear from them. SOMEONE must have information and I really need to see this to finish my research.
4. All original documents will be carefully handled and returned and ALL out of pocket expenses refunded.
Thank you for your help.
Yours, Tom Barcroft
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Observer's biggest stories.
- Margaret Hunt Hill's Heirs Are Still Fighting About Money, Making Judge Sad
- Downtown Dallas Inc. Says There Aren't Enough Cops Downtown, Asks For More
- I'll Eat Crow for Calling West Dallas "Nowhere," but that Bridge Is Still Stupid