Tony Romo was gutsy last Sunday in San Francisco, but because the Cowboys lost he wasn't heroic. Jason Garrett should be fired for his insane 3rd-and-2 play call in the final minute that led to the loss to the 49ers. Dan Bailey might be a former NFL kicker. Jesse Holley is just a ... More >>
Jerry Jones said he was "outstanding" despite last week's loss to the Jets. Sunday afternoon in San Francisco the owner almost shed a tear in talking about the quarterback's gutsy performance in a 27-24 overtime victory over the 49ers. It's already been a controversial, mesmerizing, f ... More >>
Let's face it: If the Cowboys are going to be anything but mediocre in 2011, Dez Bryant has to be effective. And to be effective, he's first got to be healthy. Bryant caught three passes for 71 yards early against the Jets, then disappeared in the game's final 52 minutes. Cramps on a 70-deg ... More >>
10. Tony Romo negated some great throws -- you'll never see a prettier pass than the 64-yarder to Jason Witten -- with some bone-headed plays. His interception to Darrelle Revis should've never been thrown and how was everyone except the quarterback ready for the snap with :08 ... More >>
One day Jason Witten will go into the Cowboys' Ring of Honor. And likely the Pro Football Hall of Fame.But all we needed from him Sunday night in New York was a decent stiff-arm.Without one as a touchdown-generating exclamation point, the Cowboys collapsed in a kick-to-the-crotch, 27-24 loss ... More >>
Whether you've reached the end of your rope or merely the end of your week, welcome to Whitt's End: *When Jerry Jones admits his team has to "walk before we can run," that's code for "rebuilding." 8-8. *The Jets may well kill the Cowboys Sunday, but aren't we glad Dallas isn't opening up ... More >>
But it's probably no better than gambling on any other team, so go ahead and be a homer.
And that's about all he wants you to know.
*This advice is contingent on you promising never to root for your Fantasy Team over your Favorite Team.
Because it wouldn't be a newspaper football preview without piss-in-the-wind game predictions.
The stats say no. Here's hoping the stats lie.
In the fickle world of NFL fandom, the Cowboys' QB has one more year to prove himself.
Zuma PressAccording to Forbes magazine, your Cowboys are the NFL's most valuable franchise at $1.85 billion. Second-wealthiest team on the planet behind only English soccer's Manchester United. They are also, in case you haven't noticed, in disarray. Chaotic. Disjointed. Injured. If not in a rebu ... More >>
Sunday night at MetLife Stadium the New York Jets will hand out American flags to every fan, and an ass-whipping to America's Team. Remember the part about not betting with your heart, but your head? This is a primo example. I want the Cowboys to win their NFL regular-season open ... More >>
When Tony Romo was sacked by the Giants' Michael Boley last October 25 it broke his collar bone and effectively ended what was already a wobbly Cowboys' 2010 season. It was also, remember, the result of a missed blocking assignment by a rookie. Chris Gronkowski was part of Saturday's cuts b ... More >>
In the final analysis the Cowboys kept nine rookies, four undrafted free agents, two kickers and zero fullbacks. If you saw that coming, raise your Labor Day hand. Didn't think so. We did foresee the departures of Igor Olshansky, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah and Montrae Holland, so not everythi ... More >>
Is Felix Jones the man? Or just the man until DeMarco Murray becomes the man? Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said this week on his weekly radio show that he considers the fourth-year running back one of the keys to Dallas' season. "I expect Felix to have a really good season," Jones said. "A ... More >>
10. Backup quarterback Jon Kitna didn't practice for a second consecutive day on Tuesday because of a sore back yesterday. Move along, nothing to see here. (Fingers crossed.) 9. Owner Jerry Jones thinks running back Felix Jones is the key to the season: "If he's real good, we'll be real go ... More >>
10. When could you tell it was preseason? Late in the first half Broncos' quarterback Tim Tebow scrambled across field, broke two tackles and eventually threw a pass down to Dallas' 5. However, there were three -- count 'em three -- penalties on Denver. On the play safety Danny Church i ... More >>
The Cowboys had exactly 10 practices in pads in San Antonio. In this weird, truncated preseason of NFL football, that makes a training camp. After a walkthrough this morning at The Alamodome, Dallas headed north and will tomorrow night begin its four-game exhibition season against the Bron ... More >>
Increasingly concerned that veteran Montrae Holland won't be the answer at right guard in 2011, the Cowboys have begun re-working their offensive line as training camp ends here in San Antonio after this afternoon's final padded practice at The Alamodome. Yesterday the Cowboys switched vete ... More >>
10. Total attendance at camp will soar over 90,000 after this afternoon's final open-to-the-public practice. The Cowboys have issued 279 media credentials for camp and on Monday Dallas mayor Mike Rawlings attended practice. The Cowboys' contract with the City of San Antonio is up after ... More >>
Whether you've reached the end of your rope or merely the end of your week, welcome to Whitt's End:*Only at a Cowboys' training camp can you look on the sidelines one day and see the guys from Deadliest Catch and the next find a dork in an ill-fitting suit and bow tie. Yep, Pee Wee Her ... More >>
After an epic swing and miss at the NFL's No. 1 free agent, the Cowboys are off and crawling at training camp.
10. To accommodate the veterans who will practice with the team for the first time tonight and to give those fans who get off work later a chance to see their 'Boys, the team has moved its 2:30-5:30 practice this afternoon to 6:30-9:30 tonight at The Alamodome. Players like Doug Free an ... More >>
This is what happens when, for the first time in a long time, the Cowboys have no sexy new faces at training camp. Seems every player Dallas signs has already played with Dallas. The hottest topic in San Antonio is ... Tony Romo Dez Bryant Jay Ratliff's weight the Dallas heat. Non-stories ar ... More >>
10. Impressed yesterday that -- on a players day off -- 6th-round draft choice and receiver Dwayne Harris was running sprints and routes. All by his lonesome. 9. Mat McBriar isn't exactly Rob Ryan, but he's departing pudgy and heading toward fat. McBriar pulled his hamstring running in ... More >>
10. Per the new collective bargaining agreement, the Cowboys are tweaking their San Antonio schedule. Today's padded practice ends at 4:15 p.m. instead of 5:30. Off day is moved from Wednesday to tomorrow. Plan accordingly. 9. Defensive coordinator Rob Ryan keeps calling cornerba ... More >>
Tiffany DerryThe Dallas Association of Young Lawyers hosts its third annual Food for Thought on Saturday at The Tower Club, where guests can buy goodies in the silent and live auctions and sample fare from a number of top-notch local chefs and restaurants. The event is a benefit for Big Thou ... More >>
For those who found this morning's paper particularly dissatisfying, here are some other Sunday stories with that taste particularly local:The Atlanta Journal-Constitution begins its "Atlanta Forward" series this morning by comparing and contrasting that city with ours, a not-uncommon occurrence, ... More >>
Whether you've reached the end of your rope or merely the end of your week, welcome to Whitt's End: *I know one practice doesn't make a career and, as Bill Parcells says, let's hold off on shipping that bust to Canton, but Cowboys' first-round draft pick Tyron Smith looks like a beast ... More >>
10. Was it just me and Fox 4's Mike Doocy, or was owner Jerry Jones choking up a bit yesterday when talking about the voyage that was lockout negotiations? "We took the boat out into a perfect storm and got the boat back home." The older he gets, the more sentimental and emotional Jerry get ... More >>
Well, are you ready for some?Arrived in San Antonio this morning and will attend owner Jerry Jones' State of the Franchise press conference at 3 p.m. in The Alamodome. (After an off-season of relative silence and so many topics to cover, this baby could go 90 minutes.) In the post-lockout ... More >>
Lyle Leong, the newest CowboyWith their first practice in San Antonio's Alamodome in about 48 hours, the Cowboys are scrambling to piece together a roster. The first step in that process is signing undrafted free agents, which can begin today per the post-lockout NFL rules. Who ... More >>
I'll never forget the image. It was 2009 and your Cowboys were holding their afternoon training camp practice at San Antonio's Alamodome. In shorts. The pace and feel of coach Wade Phillips' camp mimicked that of a leisurely picnic kicking off a weekend 10-year high school reu ... More >>
While we await word of court dates in DeShawn Stevenson's Irving arrest and shrug at yet another blemish on the record of former Texas running back Cedric Benson, some TCU football players and a former Dallas Cowboy were arrested over the weekend in Dallas. According to Dallas police, former ... More >>
It was already a bad week for Dez Bryant, after former mentor Deion Sanders reiterated that he is severing ties with the firebrand Cowboys' receiver. Now Bryant is on the verge of more legal trouble after standing up a New Jersey memorabilia show. According to organizers of the Collectors ... More >>
Via.Well, this is certainly odd timing: Only a few hours after flashing back to that Dallas Times Herald gimme featuring Spider-Man and Danny White, Your Dallas Cowboys have announced a partnership with Marvel Entertainment. As in:Through an agreement that enables the Dallas Cowboys to license Ma ... More >>
Via.Shortly after we recalled Bruce Springsteen's rock-and-roll down an Oak Cliff bowling alley -- almost moments after -- news broke that Clarence Clemons had died from complications caused by a stroke suffered a few days earlier. At which point I cued up the '84 Reunion stop and remembered-when ... More >>
More than Tony Romo, Jason Witten and, yes, Mat McBriar, the most valuable Cowboy is DeMarcus Ware.Drafted 11th overall in '05, the outside linebacker has led Dallas in sacks in all five of his seasons and is the only player in the NFL with at least 10 quarterback traps in each of the last four y ... More >>
Great. But is it the greatest? When Dirk Nowitzki accessorized his lefty layup in the final minute with private tears of joy and accomplishment last Sunday night in Miami, the Dallas Mavericks symbolically threw Don Carter's 10-gallon hat in the ring. After years of sheepishly having B ... More >>
Last we heard from two-time Grammy-winning, Dallas-based sibling production duo Play-N-Skillz, they were taking over the world with their David Guetta collaboration, "Where Dem Girls At?" and prepping the release of an upcoming EP called Alter Egos. Turns out they had something else to do first -- ... More >>
If there's less post-draft buzz than usual, it's because the Cowboys for once went substance over style.
Not a secret in media circles that Tony Romo has long planned on marrying fiancee Candice Crawford at historic Arlington Hall in Dallas on May 28. Today TMZ is making a huge deal out of it. Guess it's a good time to peek at the actual wedding announcement. We know Candice is a gorgeous woma ... More >>
10. The pick of Southern Cal offensive lineman Tyron Smith isn't sexy, but it's savvy. Thumbs up. And he says he doesn't like jewelry. Two thumbs up. 9. Fifth-rounder and former Cedar Hill star Josh Thomas is physical and a good tackler in the secondary, but you wonder about a four-year ... More >>
Tyron Smith: The next Dallas Cowboy?The Cowboys need help at safety. Their 2010 pass defense was the worst in the 50-year history of the storied franchise and two culprits were Gerald Sensabaugh and Alan Ball. Problem: The Cowboys won't take a safety with the 9th pick in tonight's NFL Draf ... More >>
As much as we'd all like to hear it, NFL commish Roger Goodell isn't going to finish that sentence with "Patrick Peterson. Cornerback. LSU."That's because Peterson will likely be taken in the top seven picks of Thursday night's NFL Draft, and Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said yes ... More >>
Was talking to Cowboys' long-snapper L.P. Ladouceur yesterday when the news broke: "Judge Susan Nelson rules for players. Lockout to be lifted."Him: "What does that mean? We're back to work tomorrow?"Me: "Um, I'm not sure." At the time -- as usual -- I felt like an uninformed dork, clueless t ... More >>
While the NFL lockout storms toward mediation, the Dallas Cowboys are proceeding with business as usual.At least when it comes to business. Season-ticket holders this month were mailed invoices for the 2011 season, requiring balances paid in full by May 1. The bill comes with a caveat, o ... More >>
Find everything you're looking for in your city
Find the best happy hour deals in your city
Get today's exclusive deals at savings of anywhere from 50-90%
Check out the hottest list of places and things to do around your city