Decades after my sports card-collecting prime I've become familiar once more with the doings of that particular industry, thanks to my 8-year-old son's obsession with cards -- baseball, mostly, and Houston-made Obaks when he's feeling particularly old-school, though any Topps'll do. But he's got ... More >>
A (Wait, It's Already Midseason?) Midseason Report
The Mavericks -- like virtually every other team during this bizarre, lockout-shortened NBA season -- are nearly impossible to pin down. A combination of odd scheduling, injury adjustments and minimal practice time seemingly puts a different Maverick team on the floor every night out; in one game th ... More >>
The Mavs are NBA champions, but are they the best team in franchise history?
Soon as the Mavericks "drafted" Texas shooting guard Jordan Hamilton, I received texts and tweets and a couple of phone calls from excited fans. Hamilton played for the Longhorns, so he must be good, right? W-R-O-N-G. Not sure if any school has more NBA busts than the one down ... More >>
Mark Cuban, Dirk Nowitzki and the Mavs shed labels and the Miami Heat on the way to their first NBA championship.
10. It was a simple offensive rebound and putback layup off the glass, but when Shawn Marion produced it at the end of the third quarter on April 25 it gave the Mavericks a 14-point lead over the Blazers in crucial Game 5 of the first round, and it restored confidence in the Mavs two days af ... More >>
Great. But is it the greatest? When Dirk Nowitzki accessorized his lefty layup in the final minute with private tears of joy and accomplishment last Sunday night in Miami, the Dallas Mavericks symbolically threw Don Carter's 10-gallon hat in the ring. After years of sheepishly having B ... More >>
The Thunder's performance reminiscent of yesterday's Mavs.
10. Much as I'm giddy over the victory and the Mavs' second berth in the NBA Finals, I'm almost as happy for the way they handled the win. No confetti on the floor. No champagne in the locker room. Not even a drop of celebratory Ginger Ale. Says Dirk Nowitzki, "It's a great moment. But we've ... More >>
After last night's Game 5 door slammer against the OKC Thunder, your Mavericks are now 12-3 in the playoffs and awaiting an opponent in the NBA Finals. Not bad for a team that about 50 percent of prognosticators picked would lose to the Portland Trail Blazers in the first round. I picke ... More >>
10. Battle scars. The Mavericks are fueled by them. As of last night, the Thunder now have one of their own. Who feels worse about their closing confidence this morning: Harold Camping and his May 21 oops or Chokelahoma and its 15-point implosion? 9. Whether it was an epic meltdown or ... More >>
Tied in the final minute of overtime after erasing a 15-point deficit in the final 5 minutes of regulation. Jason Kidd's defense on Kevin Durant, leading to a Shawn Marion steal. The Mavericks' veteran patience, systematically setting up of a Dirk Nowitzki elbow isolation they've run a zillion ... More >>
Dirk: Playoff beard10. Think of the Ford Center Oklahoma City Arena as a 'roided Reunion. Basketball here is still fresh and, let's face it, there's nothing else to do. I was at Reunion in the '80s and Sacramento's ARCO Arena with the cowbells in the '00s, and this place is louder. Sa ... More >>
10. You knew the Thunder wouldn't be content to lose another game of one-on-one with Dirk Nowitzki. They fronted him in the post. They doubled him. They held him to 29 points. Nick Collison, touche. And, you're right, that's something I thought I'd never type. 9. Mavs coach Rick Carlisle is ... More >>
10. Dirk Nowitzki was obviously unstoppable with 48 points and an NBA playoff-record 24 of 24 free throws, but the Mavs were stagnant and stale offensively until J.J. Barea entered the game in the second quarter. As Thunder coach Scotty Brooks said afterward, "He's a handful." I'm stil ... More >>
Execution vs. Explosion. Savvy vs. Speed. Aptitude vs. Athleticism. You get the picture. Mavs vs. Thunder. While -- yeah, I know -- I shoulda took my Mavs-over-Blazers first-round pick and quit while I was ahead, I predicted a Lakers' win the West semis and, happily, sheepishly, here we a ... More >>
10. I'll have my position-by-position breakdown complete with, yes, the highly (smirk) coveted prediction tomorrow, but let's get this party started pronto. Back in 1994 I covered the Mavericks for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and a team that featured point guards Jason Ki ... More >>
Whether you've reached the end of your rope or merely the end of your week, welcome to Whitt's End: *Went and watched the American professional debut of Cuban defector/Rangers' prospect Leonys Martin last night in Frisco. In a word, wow! With his father and agent in the stands at Dr Pepper ... More >>
Ah, the bad ol' days. Hilarious.While the Mavs were sleeping last night, they might have won another playoff game. How's that? Because over in Memphis the Grizzlies and Oklahoma City Thunder played only the sixth triple-overtime game in NBA playoff history. On the heels of Saturday's ... More >>
This is the price we pay for David Stern's mission to make the NBA a global game. Because, after further review, yes, a million Chinese can be wrong. When the NBA announces its 2011 All-Star Game starters during tonight's double-header on TNT, the Western Conference's center will be ... Yao ... More >>
Yesterday ESPN and Texas agree to a 20-year, $300 million deal to launch a 24-hour Longhorn network in September. Planned programming includes sports, original series, studio shows, historical programming and academic and cultural events. More precisely ESPN/UT hopes to televise at least one exc ... More >>
Caron Butler hasn't been as productive as he was in Washington, but he's getting there.Without their head coach and best player for most of the game, the Dallas Mavericks improved to 17-1 since November 20 with a 103-93 victory last night in Oklahoma City. Six Mavs chipped in with double-digit po ... More >>
Denard Robinson, the next Heisman winner? Yawn.Reggie Bush gave back his Heisman Trophy. To which I respond: Big friggin' deal. I know the Heisman is one of the most hyped awards, but - let's be honest - it's also the most meaningless sports trophy this side of the Governor's Cup, Golden B ... More >>
Speaking of new music video's the Dallas contingent of Young Money Entertainment, Lil Twist, has a mew one for his Bow Wow-featuring song called "Lil' Secret," which pretty much follows the same formats as most of the old Bob Wow video's before he dropped the "Lil" from his name. Which is to day: Th ... More >>
A year ago tomorrow the Mavs pulled the trigger on their controversial blockbuster, sending Devin Harris and two first-round draft picks to the New Jersey Nets for Jason Kidd. Lookie who's in town tonight? It's those same Nets and a very different Harris, fresh off his All-Star appearance and a ... More >>
Marques Haynes should be wealthy and celebrated. He was always content just to be the best.